Recipe needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phatuna

Reaction score
Hello good folks - would you mind helping me find an inexpensive AG recipe?

I am doing 5 Gal. batches, this will be my 3rd AG and I'm still fumbling w/ the process which is why I am sticking to cheap ingredients for now.

I did a hefeweizen a couple of weeks ago, then biermunchers centenial blonde last weekend.

I want to do one more "summer" ale but don't know where to go from here.

I've got plenty of Pale Ale on hand which is my favorite beer type, and I've got the Hefe bottle conditioning and the blonde in primary.

I'm open to any suggestions, but looking for something fairly light (color and ABV) which can be purchased for somewhere around $20 - $25...

Thanks!

Well, I'm an APA and IPA lover, so I would always suggest one of those! If you use high AAU hops for bittering, you can get away with less hops than you'd think.

If you've already got a blonde and a hefeweizen, the only other beer that screams "summer" at me is another wheat, if not an APA.

I hate to admit it, but I'm drinking a watermelon wheat right at this moment. It's over 90 degrees, though, and it's both my first wheat beer and my first fruit beer, all in one. The recipe is under Dude's pulldown. It was pretty cheap, because I used hops I had in the freezer (they aren't really tasted) and it used 2# of honey. You could sub corn sugar for the honey, if you wanted real cheap.

Edit- here's Dude's recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/bs-honey-wheat-21227/

Here are my changes:
4 lbs Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 43.24 %
3 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 32.43 %
4.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2.70 %
1.25 oz Crystal [3.00 %] (60 min) Hops 12.4 IBU
1.00 oz Crystal [3.00 %] (20 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
1.00 oz Crystal [3.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
2.50 cup Watermelon Juice (Secondary 10.0 days) Misc
2 lbs Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 21.62 %
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

I just happened to have tons of clover honey, and plenty of crystal hops, and all of the other ingredients in my basement.

You might try a special bitter.
7.5 lbs pale 2 row(I recommend Marris Otter)
.5 lbs 40L Crystal malt
.25 lbs biscuit malt
hop it to around 35 IBU with your choice of hops, Kent Goldings would be nice for the aroma hops. You still want a nice hop aroma but not as assertive as a pale ale.
Nottingham Yeast
Cheap, Tasty, Summerbeer

What about a Rye Ale. I'm simply making a suggestion as I do not have a recipe. But if someone wanted to offer up suggestions then I'd be all for it.

Lancaster Brewing Co., a microbrewery out of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, has a good summer seasonal called rare rooster rye ale. On their website it is at 4.8%ABV and 18 IBU. They did not mention grains or hops they use. I've had it at a beerfest and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thanks all,

Yoop, this watermelon beer sounds very interesting (I wouldn't have pegged you for a fruity beer drinker! haha)
Can you taste the watermelon coming through pretty well?
Did you boil the watermelon juice for a few minutes prior to secondary? I've never added fruit before.

Thanks all,

Yoop, this watermelon beer sounds very interesting (I wouldn't have pegged you for a fruity beer drinker! haha)
Can you taste the watermelon coming through pretty well?
Did you boil the watermelon juice for a few minutes prior to secondary? I've never added fruit before.

I am NOT a fruity beer drinker- don't tell anybody!!!!!!

Yes, you can taste the watermelon. It's not overpowering, it's just lightly "there". I don't know if you could even pick it out as watermelon, if no one told you what it was. It was good coming out of primary, before the watermelon, and I debated only "watermeloning" half but I did the whole thing. It was almost lemony out of primary- I don't know if that is typical of wheat or not, since this is my first wheat!

I put the watermelon in a blender, and then used a crushed campden tablet dissolved in some water to sanitize it. Then, I racked the beer into it the next day.

Get some base malt (or even 2 or 3 types of base malts). Figure out what you need to get an OG of about 1.050. Get an oz of dual purpose, middle AA hops to get you about about 20-25 IBU and you're good to go.

4 lbs 2 row
3 lbs Vienna
3 lbs Light Munich

0.75 oz Sterling @ 60 mins
0.25 oz Sterling @ 5 mins

Use a clean dry yeast like Nottingham or S-05.

You can make that beer for under $20 and it will be an awesome summer quaffer.

What about a Rye Ale. I'm simply making a suggestion as I do not have a recipe. But if someone wanted to offer up suggestions then I'd be all for it.

Lancaster Brewing Co., a microbrewery out of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, has a good summer seasonal called rare rooster rye ale. On their website it is at 4.8%ABV and 18 IBU. They did not mention grains or hops they use. I've had it at a beerfest and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I absolutely love this beer and have to order it through a corner liquor store to get it.

Since this post is old is there any chance someone's found or written a recipe for the Rare Rooster Rye?

Summer Ale, 5gal batch
7# Pale Ale Malt
2# Vienna malt
1# Flaked rice

mash at 155F for 60min
EFF%=70

Boil:
1/2oz Crystal 3.3% for 60min
1/2oz Crystal 3.3% for 5min
1oz Hallertauer 4% for 5 min

OG=1.042
FG=1.008