Throw Up Krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyc88

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a brown ale that I did about 2 and a half weeks ago. There has been no activity in the Primary for about a week. This beer was built with a blowoff cap going into sanitized water.

I was going to bottle it today but I took off the blowoff cap and looked inside and the top of the beer has this solid throw up looking stuff. It's not like any Krausen i've seen before. Only thing different in this beer is we added 5 oz of chocolate flavoring in the last 15 minutes of the boil. Is this normal? Should I leave it for a while?

photo.jpg

Looks just like the gunk on top of my lawnmower beer. Looks fine to me.

I've seen bubbly stuff like that persist on the surface of some beers a long time after fermentation, by all indications, appeared complete. What does it smell like? I'm guessing it's fine.

Should I continue with bottling today and work around the top layer of gunk? Or should I wait for it to settle?

Assuming it's done fermenting, bottle whenever it's convenient. A bunch of that will probably drop out when you move the carboy anyway.

the solid-ish chocolate vomit krausen will stick to the fermentor when you siphon it out.

nothing looks bad.

Back