Cloudy Cream Ale Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zentr

Reaction score
I brewed a Cream Ale 6 weeks ago. I followed Jamil's recipe in Brewing Classic Styles. I pitched a 2 liter starter with White Labs WLP001 California Ale yeast.

I started fermentation at 60 F (ambient) in the basement for 24 hours, then moved it upstairs at 65 F (ambient) (...probably could have stayed downstairs for the whole week). Fermented for 3 weeks total. Bottle conditioned for 3 weeks. I put a six pack in the fridge for 24 hours.

I just sampled it. It tastes a tad sweet to me and the beer is a little cloudy, certainly not clear. It's not hefeweizen cloudy, just not clear. Good carbonation. The German pilsner malt really comes through and lingers...a bit too explicitly. Not bad, but not where I want it.

I assume both the sweetness and the cloudy is from yeast. It needs to drop out more. I can leave the six pack in the fridge for another week. I can also leave the rest of the beer in the closet @ 65 F.

Will the beer clear up better in the basement at around 60-62 F?

Will the beer in the fridge clear up better? Maybe I should add another six pack to the fridge?

Any recommendations for clearing up this beer?

Thank you!

Since it's bottled, I'd suggest sticking as much in the fridge as you can fit in there and leave them for as long as you can. That should go a long way to clarifying it.

Back