Nada on the Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeyuwp

Reaction score
Yeah I know this has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find a good answer by searching. I recently made an easy cyser (5 gals cidey, 3 lbs honey). I made a starter with Red Star wine yeast and pitched it about 24 hours ago. No activity yet but there are white "gobs" floating in the mix. I figured I should have something going in there with the amount of sugar available. This is my first attempt with cider. Anything I can do with the lack activity?

Add some yeast nutrient. Cider plus honey means the yeast will be really stressed at the beginning. It sounds like you are getting some growth and fermentation should start in a few days, but the nutrient will strengthen the yeast so they can cope with the high sugar levels.

david_42 said:
Add some yeast nutrient.

I did this when I added the yeast. Got home tonight and noticed some slow bubbling has begun, hopefully it'll pick up. Thanks for the thoughts

Back