Need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ims0ko0l

Reaction score
So I bought an extract Irish red ale. My HBS didnt have any of the Irish ale in at the time so I bought a safale s04 dry yeast and a Nottingham dry yeast. Which would be better to use?

image-725501558.jpg

Both will work, but I would use the Notty. Me and S-04 are having some taste issues. I keg, and it takes a good 5-6 pints to get rid of the yeast taste. Notty is pretty clean IMHO.

The Nottingham will give you better attenuation, leaving the beer dryer than the s-04. Both will produce a nice beer.

The s-04 is going to finish sweeter that the Nottingham and floculates well, creating a compact yeast cake in the fermenter. This drags much of the impurities in your beer with it and adds to clarity.

I think I would use the s-04 for an Irish Red.

go to the Fermentis and danstar web pages and download the PDF cut sheets on these yeasts.

If you really want... i saved some irish ale yeast slurry from a batch i did not too long ago... you can have it, I live in Bellflower (but, to be honest, i rarely accept others' yeast... you just can't trust anyone but yourself when it comes to sanitation).

Its a tough choice between those two yeasts. I think i would go nottingham. Mostly because I prefer dryer beers and the nottingham will likely ferment your beer down to a lower gravity. In my experience the s-04 ferments very fasts and flocculates well which can be a bonus if you're in a hurry.

Thanks jimebrews glad to know there's a local near me. They actually stocked it a few days later and I was able to get one.

My $.02, I'd go with the 04. Both will make a great beer (unless you ferment warm with Notty, YARK!!!!), but I think the 04 makes a much nicer beer overall especially if you're brewing a style from the British isles.

Latest posts

Back