NB Sierra Madre Kit with no hops flavor......What gives??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewben

Reaction score
So I just cracked open my first brew a NB Sierra Madre Extract kit that sat in the primary 8 days, secondary 2 weeks, and in the bottle 2 weeks. The flavor is very malty with some bottles boring a cider-ish taste, not really though, just 'off'. Not real sure how to describe it. No hop smell or taste. Given that this kit is supposed to be a pale ale that mimics Sierra Nevada I am looking for reasons that this brew turned out like this. Thanks for any help

post your recipe and your process, it could be lots of things. i never liked the 2 extract beers i made when starting out and quickly moved on to all grain. having said that, many people brew award winning extract beer.

I recently made a pale ale from a kit from my local LHBS that is supposed to be a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone. It was very close. My recipe gave me the option of adding the last of the hops at flameout or dryhopping. I chose to dry hop. Post your technique and I will compare to my notes with my kit.

The NB Sierra Madre kit was the second kit I ever brewed. It was fantastic and on my list to repeat at some point.

That may be acetelhyde that you are tasting. Your beer is a little young yet. Give it more time. Next time leave it in the primary for 3 weeks and skip the secondary

Back