I actually got flowers during year 1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopEd

Reaction score
I guess it's not that uncommon to get flowers year one, but I'm still a bit surprised.

Before I went away on vacation for a week, I noticed a couple vines were starting to flower. When I came back, I started to actually see flowers. My garden is incredibly sloppy so we'll see what happens.

I guess I just have to wait a while for them to ripen.

Brian Chorba's Photos - Brewing stuff | Facebook

I planted 5 rhizomes this year and all but one broke ground and are climbing to the sky. My cascades are the only one producing cones. Not a lot, but they are there and getting bigger every day.

I am looking forward to next years harvest.

Use what ever you do end up with and be proud they produced this year for you. That's what I plan to do with the few ounces I might end up with.

Salute! :mug:

Hops growing is a lot more fun when you see that you might have something to harvest even if it is just a few cones. Soon you will be planning what to brew with YOUR hops.

I may never grow enough to brew with my own hops... but I harvested 2 ounces of Cascade yesterday from the first harvest, the second harvest is currently growing and looks to be about 4 ounces.

The bines look cool... probably will never brew with them, but they are neat plants.

I got flowers on all of my first year cascades last year. Strangely only a few of them flowered this year. I think they just got tired of growing in small pots. One of my second year cascades that I transplanted to the ground at the start of the season gave me a little over 7 ounces (dried).

I stated some Mt. Hood in the spring here in Maine, she took off like a rocket, but I only put up a 10 foot pole. I tried to train her to grow horizontally day after day,then I broke the tip. She sent out all kinds of side shoots, I did get them to grow horizontally. I have some nice looking cones, but those Japanese Beetles are bad this year. The beetles seem to only eat the nice young leaves.

I planted one Chinook and one cascade in half wine barrels. I got a late start, didn't plant until late may but I have cones on both plants. If I get enough to make one batch I'll be happy.

I have cones on all four of my first year plants. Cascade, Centennial, Nugget and Zeus. I probably have a total of about 500 cones or so. I hope to make a nice hop harvest IPA in a month.

I have cones on all four of my first year plants. Cascade, Centennial, Nugget and Zeus. I probably have a total of about 500 cones or so. I hope to make a nice hop harvest IPA in a month.

Same here but 2 Brewers Gold, a Cascade and a Willamette. The main bine of my Willamette was taken out by a wind storm but has slowly come back. The Willamette is 15' and the rest are pushing 30'. my trellis is 20 feet high. They all went right up and then off sideways. There are hundreds of cones and they look better every day. Gonna make the wife a blue dot clone with em. I'm gonna plant 8 to 10 more next year...
IMG_3113.JPG

Back