What about this carboy cleaner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dunno about that.. but all i do is put some soap in the carboy, and a wash rag.. and swish it all around..

but that thing would be a lot faster i am sure.

They look pretty sweet but I would never pay that much. Could probably make something just as effective though.

Alemental said:
Has anybody tried one of these?
http://morebeer.com/view_product/15974/

A bit pricey, perhaps, but I am sick & tired of half effective bent brushes.
Does it work well? What material is used?

bah. BAH! I say.

Go down to the local grocery store and pick up a tub of oxyclean. A good 2-hour soak in that stuff, and your carboy brush will remove that stuff just like grease gets removed from pans in all those dish soap commercials. This product is a, how you say, rip-off. If you wanna spend your miney wisely, get a bottle jet. I use it to rinse out my carboys after said oxyclean soak.

i've never had issues when using Oxyclean and the bent brush, plus i clean everything ASAP

Not to cut against the grain but that thing looks like an awesome idea. I agree the price is way steep. It has been on my DIY list for a while though, it would make cleaning way easier and more effective.

Boerderij Kabouter said:
Not to cut against the grain but that thing looks like an awesome idea. I agree the price is way steep. It has been on my DIY list for a while though, it would make cleaning way easier and more effective.

I agree I think it a good idea. Im thinking a metal dowel, I dont think thats what its called but whatever, and find some way to tie something like strips of chamois to it. Hook it up to a drill and your in business.

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
I agree I think it a good idea. Im thinking a metal dowel, I dont think thats what its called but whatever, and find some way to tie something like strips of chamois to it. Hook it up to a drill and your in business.

So drill your carboy, that's what you are saying? Drill your carboy. What if it doesn't want to get drilled?:(

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
OK...Product Review Time:

I travel a lot and get per diem. I don't eat steaks, etc, so every once in a while (read as "ALWAYS") I have PD $$$ left over that's mine. I purchase a lot of my supplies with this $$$.

I thought about it a while and finally purchased one of these a last year or so ago.

What I found out is the carboy has to basically be empty in order to work.

When you first start the drill it curls around the stainless rod then expands outward. There really is no weight there.

I thought about adding another layer of chamois to the tips, but then you have the difficulty of getting them through the opening.

The thing does work, but a little frustrating at times.

I've used it about 4 times and go to the bent brush all the time...:eek:

homebrewer_99 said:
OK...Product Review Time:

The thing does work, but a little frustrating at times.

I've used it about 4 times and go to the bent brush all the time...:eek:

Ahh, that's what I was hoping for; hands on experience. I wondered if there would be enough weight at the tips to keep them extended. Glad I didn't buy one or invest the time to construct one!
Thanks,
Bob.

Thanks for the review. I may give making one a try if I find the parts around the house but I wont spend a dime on it if I do.
Again nice review.

Back