RIMS design for critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnthemate

Reaction score
ok, I think I might have made a mistake cutting out the lids before doing a bit more research..( perhaps those 2 inch sanke holes could have been nice exits with tri clamps).. too late. but before anyother major leaps of faith, ill put together more of a design.. and would be grateful for any guidance.

Aims of system.

Small footprint
I have 3 x 5 gallon kegs... but if I can get away with 2 all the better
Aesthetically pleasing
I think I want to go Electric and RIMS
I think I can get away with one pump and water pressure
3 valves and a few quick disconnects

Thoughts I have had so far.

Would have been nice to use the CFC ( I have a convolutus) as a HX, but design wise it dosent seem to make sense - please correct me if I have missed something.

HLT inlet will be of a whirlpool design. MLT will have some sort of spray device so as not to upset the grain.

I need to research a hop back, and element ratings along with all the electrical stuff.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Brewery Design.jpg

Hi, I meant to say something yesterday, but a shiny object or something flew by.

First off, is that a typo, or are you using 5gal kegs?

The only major problem I see with your design is that there needs to be a valve after the pump to regulate flow rate. Are you planning on using your rims unit as a tankless water heater during the sparge? If so, make sure you've got an element with enough wattage to handle that. I'm sure there was something else, I'll chime in again as it comes to me.

hi, thanks a lot, I was startign to wonder if I had done some sort of Brewer's blasphemy.

Not a typo..5 gallon or 30 litre kegs... largest I could get here in Italy. I think I have come to the conclusion that it will be ok.. just smaller batches! :

Agree on the valve after pump... Thanks!

Im planning to use the rims for heating up sparge water directly from the tap.. What temperature and rate should I be sparging at.. that would then dtermine the wattage. Ive rad somewhere on here, that some people have been succesful with this approach, without burnt wort etc.. I just need to work out how to get to the right wattage ( within the legal limits of the country)

thanks a lot for commenting ... much appreciated to a newbie like me.

Cheers, john

Back