Big and Easy bottle for Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewOnBoard

Reaction score
So this, if you haven't seen it before looks like quite the gimmick. A 2L plastic bottle of wort, a yeast tablet. "homebrew". I must admit though the simplicity of the setup is elegant.

Review: The Big and Easy Bottle Brew - Homebrewing - Zimbio

Do you think this would work for small batch apfelwein? Don't get me wrong, I like apfelwein but even 2.5gal seems like a lot! I worry that the cap-pressure-valve-thingy would be too cheap for repeated usage. Anyone seen one and have an idea if this would work?

BrewOnBoard

BoB. Very similar in concept at least to Mr. Beer or any of the other small fermenters on the market. 2L of anything doesn't seem like much. If you are really into small batches, maybe a 1 gallon plastic or glass bottle would work better.

I left my Apfelwein in the carboy for a couple months. I'd be worried about leaving Apfelwein in the Bottle Brew for very long.

If never heard of the Bottle Brew. I wouldn't go out and buy one but it's interesting.

If you are only looking to make a 2L batch look for glass milk containers (I found one in a 2L size that I use for starters). They are like $3.

I left my Apfelwein in the carboy for a couple months. I'd be worried about leaving Apfelwein in the Bottle Brew for very long.

If never heard of the Bottle Brew. I wouldn't go out and buy one but it's interesting.

If you are only looking to make a 2L batch look for glass milk containers (I found one in a 2L size that I use for starters). They are like $3.

2L or 1gal glass milk containers are a good lead. Any idea if a carboy cap and it's all important airlock would fit on one of these?

In my 2L glass jug the same stopper that fits in my carboy fits in the milk jug. Throw a airlock in there and you're good to go.

Back