Wyeast 2112 - California Lager Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelpdog

Reaction score
I'm racking a fall/winter brewto secondary tonight that I used the Wyeast 2112. Planning to do a couple of batches of cider in the coming weeks and am wondering if this yeast might work well. Anyone have any experience using it or something comparable?

I used 2112 for a gallon test batch last season. It did OK. I cold crashed and bottled it at 1.008 at which point it was pretty tasty, but like most lager yeasts it kept going after the crash and carbed the bottles, so its a little drier now, more like 1.000 or 1.002 with a fairly strong carb. Not nearly as good as it was sweeter IMHO, but fairly well balanced, still a hint of fruit. Depends on what you are going for. If you can crash it, keg it and keep it cold then you have a lot of options with this, but fermented to dryness, not much to get excited about.

Interesting...I might do a 1 gallon batch as well. I'm surprised it didn't cold crash better. This yeast strain is supposed to be happiest between mid 50F and mid 60F, quite a bit warmer than most lager yeasts, so I figured that it might cold crash well. That coupled with its tendency to impart great clarity and a crisp flavor made me think it might be an interesting candidate for cider.

Just noticed my thread on this yeast from a couple of years ago. Initially the cider made with this yeast was horrible...really funky flavor. I held on to them as we'll use cider for cooking - in particular this biscuit recipe: http://www.finnriver.com/-/51/101/Cider-Baking-Powder-Biscuits

We opened a bottle a week or so back of this vintage and it was amazing! Can't say that the yeast necessarily had anything to do with it, but it definitely turned a corner. Unusual as most of my ciders are good at about six months and peak at about a year. We typically do dry sparkling ciders. This one has a bit of residual sweetness and a real rounded apple flavor. Very little aroma...yeast or apple.

Back