Raspberry Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacGruber

Reaction score
How does this sound?

5 lbs Maris Otter
5 Lbs Weyerman Light Wheat Malt
0.5 lbs carapils dextrin
1.5 lbs rice hulls

1 oz Hersbrucker 60 min
WLP 320 American Hefeweizen in a 1 L starter on a stir plate

Single infusion mash 60 min at 154

I'm thinking 4 oz of raspberry extract at kegging. Thoughts?

Looks ok i would swap the carapils for flaked wheat and 1.5 lbs of rice hulls is way to much just use a handfull or 2. As for the extract i would start with an ounce or 2 and see how it tastes you can always add but you cant subtract.

Chris hit a lot of points on that I agree with. I would just throw a handful or two of rice hulls in, and sparge slowly. Also, 4 oz's of raspberry extract is way too much. I bet you could get away with a tablespoon of it or two. That stuff goes a long way...

I agree. Also I've found that if I perform a mash out and keep my sparge water at the right temperature I don't even need rice hulls. I might would add .5 lbs of unmalted wheat in there too.

I actually determined how much extract to put in my raspberry wheat by measuring it into a pint of plain wheat beer 1/2 a ml at a time. My taste says 1/2 ml per pint is a good combo so i am going to go with 20 ml of extract for this 5 gallon batch i have fermenting now.

Back