Is this for real?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if the "PTSAA" is real :) but potato canons are very much real :D

lots of fun... especially after a few adult beverages

That looks like an over-grown Burbgun from the 1950's. Those only shot ping-pong balls.

I don't think the PTSAA is real, but we used to have loads of fun with spud guns in college. We built one out of PVC and used a piezo igniter from a grill to fire it. One time, we were at a lake and we were using the gun to launch potatoes like mortars at a few friends in an aluminum boat. After 5 or 6 misses, I decided to level the gun and shoot straight at them. The potato skipped across the water and punched a hole right through the aluminum side of the boat. They weren't happy, but we just about died laughing.

Hopfan, that's a hilarious story. I'm pretty sure those things are illegal in most states in the U.S., if not all of them. Still, they definitely lead to hyjinks.

beer4breakfast said:
No, they are not illegal in most states or jurisdictions. In fact, I don't believe they are illegal in any state (US). In some states the combustion style spud guns, such as the one in the video, are considered firearms, but even that is rare. (They are considered firearms in Texas, but are not illegal.) Noise ordinances may be applicable to combustion type spud guns.

Pneumatic spud guns aren't illegal in any state.

Tape together some soup cans with all but the last can having had the bottoms removed. Punch a small hole in the can that still has a bottom on it. Load a tennis ball into your cannon. IN the small hole, put some lighter fluid, then aim and hold a lighter to the hole.

we used to do it all the time when I was a kid except we used the old metel tennis ball cans, usually 2 or 3. and B4B if you are putting so much lighter fluid in there that you got flaming lighter fluid flying you are using WAY WAY WAY too much lighter fluid. The amount we used to use would barely even get the botom of the cans wet

Back