Arrrggghhhh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baja_Brewer

Reaction score
:mad::mad::mad:

First time brewing in 7 months tonight. New burner, oldish grains. Went pretty well, hit my temps, hit my volumes, yadda yadda.... propane tank froze, some issues w/ burner cause it was new...nothing too brutal.

Get to chilling. I recently moved into a new house when I transferred schools. I had to disconnect the washing machine to get a hose line for my wort chiller, ended getting out the big tools and using a huge pipe wrench to get the 10+ year old line off. Skinned a few knuckles, no biggie...

stick my immersion chiller in, crank up the water, go inside to grab something, come back out two minutes later and my kettle is about over flowing... **** **** ****.....sure enough, I yank the chiller and water just comes shooting out of the bottom.

Nothing I could do. Wort is still hot, probably contaminated.... I walked into the house and took a shot.

Just took a refractometer reading, 9.5% Brix.... 1.041 OG. Dump it.

Chiller must have frozen. SHT deal. Have another shot and send that brew to the beer gods. Sorry for you loss.

shouldn't have dumped it. I was once chilling a porter ina tupperware tote ice bath. Fillup too much. Had to careful swirling around. Water got nasty with soot from the bottom of the pot real quick. Water was from outside spigot. slipped, pot tilted, at least a half gallon of soot chilling water made it in boil pot way when it'd been chiling quite some time. Screw it. work is done fermented it. My Hazelnut Chocolate porter went over great.

Thanks fifelee... I moved onto bigger and better things....

I know I shouldnt have dumped it but it was still 180* and would have cracked my carboys... plus I mashed at 157* so I would have a nice malty profile (it was BM's Oktoberfast, like I said, old grains) so at an OG of 1.041 after mashing there? I was probably looking at 4% max, possibly ****ty beer....

I finally sacrificed to the beer gods after 20+ batches and 150+ gallons. I've come to grips with it, but.....

Latest posts

Back