My favorite country songs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Johnny Cash here, for a litany of reasons... one being his voice can convey so many emotions - sorrow, love, and a general sense of bad-a$$ery... :ban:

I kind of understand that. If somehow that could be put into a man's perspective with a female country legend with the bad a$$ery

Brother i wish i lived in California too! The weather and some of the specific laws out that way sound wonderful. Had some amazing times in CA though. God, one of the best weeks of my life was spent panhandling up the entire coast. Some down and out folks on their last leg out there, but those are the folks that would give you the shirt off their backs. Us okies are kind of stuck in our ways here. Locked by land on all sides, we have one of the most conservative governments in the union. The thing is, oklahoma is still a good place for an outlaw man, and a lot of places here, its still like the wild west. I will be posting some more tracks tonight, i'm going fishing now though!

Speaking of female country legends, although she's pretty bluesy, here's bonnie raitt (she can play that guitar!) singing a classic song.

John Prine, nothing too special, but he has a lot of good ones. I originally posted another track, but the video wouldn't show up, so here's another good one.

Hope to be back later to post some more!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, been there a few times. Usually go get some BBQ at Moe's and bring it to the brewery after hitting the beach.

Let me guess...you work at Vandenberg AFB?

I worked there for a few months for a launch for a satellite I worked on and I lived in Santa Maria not far from the airport.

Been to Pismo too...

I never heard this song before but they play in on a TV commercial for a car.

Johnny Cash- Dirty old egg sucking dog

Here's another one from John Prine. Hes got a way with words..

Check out this rowdy group here. :cross:

These guys rock. Lots of amazing spin offs from this band. Good stuff if you like strings...

:mug:

GagrageDweller knocks another one out of the ballpark!

Thank you GD for all the great posts and for keeping this thread alive.

I always look forward to your posts!:mug:

Here's a classic from the old possum, george jones

One of the best songs from the Hagg, and a solid version. Even got a saxophone in there.

I like to mix it up a little bit. This last one is long, but its one of my favorite songs from this group. Not the best version, but if you can turn up the bass on this one it helps a little. They start teasing the next song at the end. Fill your beer up before pressing play!

:tank:

Hear Yee!

Hear Yee!

I nominate GarageDweller the country historian of this "My favorite country songs" thread

Please second that motion brothers and sisters!

thanks dan! I really appreciate that you started this thread in the first place. i grew up in the woods out in the middle of nowhere and have a true country soul. this thread reminds me that there are still a few folks out there listening to country gold. heres a song along those same lines
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=omXoGewH8oc

thanks dan! I really appreciate that you started this thread in the first place. i grew up in the woods out in the middle of nowhere and have a true country soul. this thread reminds me that there are still a few folks out there listening to country gold. heres a song along those same lines
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=omXoGewH8oc

GarageDweller, first off.. I truly thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you enjoy this thread. When I started it I was just messing around, putting up some country songs I liked.

Many people responded and put up more links to great country tunes.

Glad I started this thread and very happy good people such as yourself have added to it. GD, you're one of the great posters here and have made this a fun site.

Hope this little thread doesn't die.

:mug: To your help making this thread a memorable and fun place!!!

My favorite country song is the one that was never played... ;)

must have slipped down the wrong alley hombre. think they're speakin spanish and such a little further south of here. this guy popped around the corner and playedme' this song.....

:tank:

Okay, this Ray Charles and BB King which isn't exactly country, maybe a little bluesey. But I love it and just wanted to share. I bid you peace.

Some great stuff in here. Picking my favorites is hard and about 99.9% of modern country on the radio is absolute dog ****. My personal favorites. Waylon, Merle, Cash, Kristophersen, David Allen Coe, Willy, Dwight Yoakam, Buck, Steve Earle, John Haitt, Robert Earl Keene, Justin Townes Earle, veering into bluegrass Ralph Stanley, Hank Sr., and some George Jones. Oh and Lyle Lovette is the ****. Sure I'm forgetting some.

haha uniondr. that is a country track, if'n i ever heard one!
mcbrew, i can personally agree with pretty much all the old boys you mentioned there. Seen a few steve earle shows when i lived in TN for a few years. Now, you gotta post a video with one of your favorite songs to keep the thread rolling along. (not copperhead rd. even though we all love that song)
Here's an alright song from two legends. you probably already heard this, but here it is anyways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=qofLC_FUkHQ&NR=1

Now speaking of TN, i lived in memphis for a little while. its a peculiar place, kind of a mixing pot for the mid-south. a place where there's something going on 24 hours a day. I love you memphis, tn. I will never get back the life i left there, and i will always carry the weight of your big city wherever i go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=Gu-1GrKCptc

Sorry for all the DAC songs. he's really not my favorite,(do love the guy though) although i identify in a few ways; he really has an offensive side that makes his music hard to digest for a lot of (other) folks. Some artists have a way to draw people in from all walks of life. Makes the city folks wish they were country.

Hope i can add some more tracks up this weekend. Here's to drinkin the devil to keep him at bay!

...not sure why some of my links aren't coming in as embedded videos. hope ya'll are still clicking them and following the tracks. Love this thread.
This ones for the country man..:tank:

You have to listen hard for the lyrics on this one. Love old country. This is everything country music embodies.

I hope you folks are awake tonight. I can never get to sleep on sunday nights. here's a track to keep you going.

and one more before i crawl to bed. old school classic.

I hate you monday. Worked too much, wish i could get on a horse and ride out on the open range like the old days. good night

Wakin up the country in here. Hope everyone is having a good evening. I'm not having that great of an evening, but that is the life of a country man, and it is life everywhere. It's a nonstop battle of pain, suffering and enduring. We get better everyday, even when we don't know it. gawldamn the ol' lady problems; i swear they are all crazy. here's an ol' track to keep me alive and drinkin...

this is a popular song about what has happened with the music industry. over-produced an soulless, that mickey-mouse-club-country just doesn't cut it for a real country boy.

I've got a big wide open space in colorado on my mind. womans done with me and i'm done toeing the line. this is a sad but beautiful song, that always reminds me of being on top of the continental divide and looking out over 100's of miles of wild-ass mountain country. (even though this song is about wwII, :p)

"she was there with me,
she will always be on my mind,
but i'm a heathen and a rambler,
and my life is just a short time." -garagedweller
:mug::rockin::tank:

"she was there with me,
she will always be on my mind,
but i'm a heathen and a rambler,
and my life is just a short time." -garagedweller

That's pure country! You ought to write a full song out of it! :mug:

I'll be damned if that song up there is turning into an epic. haha. haven't been able to put up any good stuff for a while and I'm sorry i'm not keeping things rolling here. still dealing with a "situation" on my end, so i haven't had much time to do my tunes. I still go back through the last 10-15 pages of this thread and play a lot of the songs. There are some true gems up and I'll be dammed if i'm going to let the best music thread on HBT die a slow painful death (although that would be country...). I promise to get something good up in the next few days if i can get back to a computer. You boys keep it rollin, and watch out for evil hearted women; they will run you dry, then ask you why.
Here's an upbeat track to help me think of movin on

love the way he sings this one

ok, ok. this was too hard to pass up. i know its a traditional song and these boys didnt' write it, but they put it on an album called "Tragic Songs of Life" if that don't just butter my biscuit, i don't know what does. Dreading getting up tomorrow morning, but its just another day in the jungle.

I know you will like this one dan. I think you could be right, waylon may be the best. Its a toss up, but this is solid.

cheers folks!

Ok, I am not a country music guy by any stretch, so I apologize in advance to you, Dan, if I poop on your thread.......

As corny as it is, my favorite country song is probably "Wolves" by Garth Brooks. I know, lame on my part but I love it. And there's something about Johnny Cash that spans musical genre, the man had something to say and we all listen.

Sláinte!

Ok, I am not a country music guy by any stretch, so I apologize in advance to you, Dan, if I poop on your thread.......

As corny as it is, my favorite country song is probably "Wolves" by Garth Brooks. I know, lame on my part but I love it. And there's something about Johnny Cash that spans musical genre, the man had something to say and we all listen.

Sláinte!

Cash was on another level altogether in terms of his transcending genres. Just love this version, the speed the rhythm, hell if they picked up the pace this isn't just country it's flat out punk rock.

Screw looking through the whole thread..
Randy Travis - Heroes and Friends.

Randy Travis - Look Heart, No Hands.

Garth Brooks - Thunder Rolls

Jerry Reed - East Bound And Down

Ok,I'll probably get shot for this,but here's another old favorite that describes my life; The kinks rock!

Cool enough UR. You could be correst in your life expectancy mumblings. But who doesn't gota get funky and hit the 80's once in awhile? :pipe:

I really dont like "country music" as defined by nashville. as a Texan I have been exposed to a lot of local musicians. This is one of my favs.

I love Pat Green but some of you may not think of him as country

I think Ray really sums it up...LOL

This is the 520th post on this thread. Small for some threads, short comments. Here? A post usually involves a video. Sometimes this thread takes forever to download.

You know what? Thank you! Lot of country music fans here and that's what makes this a good thread. Everybody sharing.

Usually well named country singers are posted here. Tonight I found a YouTube chain of songs from a guy named George Partello.

Looks as though he's probably singing songs from his kitchen counter. He does a great job mixing vocal with the original music.

This guy should be posting on this thread and if I can figure out how to invite him he just might do that.

Enjoy. Not the original, just comes from a guy who loves music and shares.. a lot like us here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8ZYAMGvlMQ&feature=BFa&list=PLD9DD6AAF368BD6ED

Latest posts

Back