What to do with this water.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingKlong

Reaction score
To be to the point, I have 10 gallons of distilled water that I am wondering if I can make any use of. I have read many threads, and didn't see this question answered.

Could I use 5 of them along with five gallons of regular water? I know for all grain I need some minerals in the water. I'm just wondering if the entire volume needs the minerals or if some is enough.

Other options would be to try and exchange the 8 unopened gallons, add minerals to it based on what I'm brewing which I have no knowledge of how to do, or use it instead of tap water for my sanitizer.

All input is appreciated.

To be to the point, I have 10 gallons of distilled water that I am wondering if I can make any use of. I have read many threads, and didn't see this question answered.

Could I use 5 of them along with five gallons of regular water? I know for all grain I need some minerals in the water. I'm just wondering if the entire volume needs the minerals or if some is enough.

Other options would be to try and exchange the 8 unopened gallons, add minerals to it based on what I'm brewing which I have no knowledge of how to do, or use it instead of tap water for my sanitizer.

All input is appreciated.

What's the mineral profile of your tap water?

I don't think I really have the time for that. I guess I'll see if I vantage exchange the 8 unopened gallons. I did find this on my tap water. Would you brew with it?

http://www.cityofws.org/Assets/CityOfWS//Documents/Utilities/WaterQlty_rept11_7 75x14 38.pdf

Yes your water is good for brewing. What do you mean you don't have time for it? The primer just consists of using your water (since you have low alkalinity water) and adding a teaspoon of calcium chloride per 5 gallons, and then adding 2% (of your grain bill) acid malt to your grain bill.

I mean I don't have time to learn to calculate and then figure the numbers. It would be nothing on brewntime it sounds like. I just want to brew after work tomorrow while the wife is away and don't have time between now and then to do much besides pick up ingredients. That includes bottled water usually.

I appreciate the effort, but something like that is outside my frame of knowledge. I don't know what my target us when using the calculator. That's why I just use deer park most of the time. The store just didn't have it last time and I carelessly bought distilled instead of drinking. I noticed when opening and then went to a different store for drinking water.

Latest posts

Back