Add Yeast to fermented beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

durandf

Reaction score
My fermentation started at 1.08 and has stopped at 1.02. What would happen if I added more yeast to get it down even more? Thanks

If you need a lower Final Gravity because you're missing your target final gravity AND you were all-grain brewing, it sounds like you might have mashed at too high of a temperature, resulting in a higher level of unfermentables. If this is the case, adding more yeast won't help.

If that isn't the case (you didn't all-grain brew at high mash temperatures), but your recipe is still calling for a lower FG - I think we might need some more details . . .

What was your target Final Gravity?
What style of beer is it?
What was your mash temperature, if any?
What was your fermentation temperature?
How long did the beer ferment to get to 1.020?
Are you trying to get a higher ABV?

The high OG makes me think you're brewing a super-hoppy IPA or really huge malt-monster. 1.020 is a perfectly fine number for a 1.080 OG.

All of the above being said, I still consider myself "new" to brewing, so take the advice of more experienced homebrewers, if they post.

Cheers.

More yeast isn't the solution. You have to aerate the yeast and there is no way to do that without oxidixing the beer that has already been created. Proceed with the process and enjoy the beer that you have created. It will be good and you will make another that will be even better..........

Latest posts

Back