MW Octane IPA issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rueben

Reaction score
I brewed the Octane IPA kit from Midwest on Sept. 17th pitched a nice 1L starter of WL005 from my new stir plate it took off really well (2 hour lag time). I planed on leaving this in primary for approx, 2 weeks and then secondary for 1 week with the oak chips provided and 1oz of EK Goldings (Plugs). However, to my great surprise I suddenly have to go out of town for 2 weeks on Sept. 30th. So now I could possibly give it 1 week in Primary and just short of 1 week in secondary, or I could leave it in secondary for the entire 2 weeks I’m out of town but I’m not sure I want to dry hop for that long. I'm considering giving it the 2 weeks in primary, transferring it and leaving it on the oak for 2 weeks then removing the oak (likely in a nylon bag hanging in my carboy) dry hop it for 5-7 days and then finally bottle it for a total of 3 weeks in secondary. I suppose I could rack it off the oak but it's only a small handful of oak chips I don't see a problem with hanging the bag from the carboy and removing it.

Any suggestions to save this IPA from being messed up by unexpected travels?

Go with the two weeks (at least) in primary to let it clean up, the Octane IPA has a lot of stuff to ferment. There's no rush. Then secondary/dry hop as long as you want.

Enjoy! That kit is excellent, it was my first brew and everyone loved it. We put in some extra DME for more kick, it was kind of a mindbender of a beer--three or four of them was "lights out".

I think you could get away with the oak and hops in there for 2 weeks. The nylon bag is a great idea, tiny bits of oak ended up in my bottles when i brewed this, and wow, those bottles tasted more like scotch than beer , my buddy called it "scotch without the terribleness"

If it gets too oaky, then you can age it in bottles longer and it goes away. But same with the hops. I dont think you'll get a lot of hop aroma with the oak in there too.

But this is my favorite brew i've done so far. I love it.

Back