repitching yeast... yes or no....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carsonwarstler

Reaction score
So I know there's a lot of threads about repitching yeast, but I'm in the middle of a brew day and need a little advice.

I just moved a high IBU IPA into a secondary. I'm brewing a porter right now with a target OG of 1.068. I didn't make a starter like I usually do, have one vial of wlp002. I typically make a starter based on mrmaltys calculations....but due to time constraints didn't get around to it. I was going to rack the wort directly on top of the IPA cake but its very high in IBU and I tend to keep this porter on the lower end of that scale.

So instead, I sanitized a quart sized jar, swirled the yeast cake, and filled the jar with the slurry. I've got it sitting in the fridge at the moment and its starting to separate.

Should I just not mess with the slurry and just pitch the single vial into the wort? Or should I let the jar settle for next hr and pour the top layer slowly into another sanitized jar and pitch that whole thing into my fermenter? Or do both?

If I do pitch the slurry, how much shoukd i pitch and will the hop matter come with it affecting flavor?

Is the batch size 5 gallons? The yeast you have on hand and the yeast used for the IPA the same? If the yeasts are the same pitch the vial of yeast and the liquid portion of the slurry above the trub layer forming at the bottom of your jar.
Alternatively, if you have a stir plate, you could make a 1.5 liter starter with the vial of yeast and pitch the entire starter tomorrow. A risk assessment would be warranted. Using YeastCalc this may give you the yeast you need if the vial of yeast is fresh.

Is the batch size 5 gallons? The yeast you have on hand and the yeast used for the IPA the same? If the yeasts are the same pitch the vial of yeast and the liquid portion of the slurry above the trub layer forming at the bottom of your jar.
Alternatively, if you have a stir plate, you could make a 1.5 liter starter with the vial of yeast and pitch the entire starter tomorrow. A risk assessment would be warranted. Using YeastCalc this may give you the yeast you need if the vial of yeast is fresh.

5.5 gal into fermenter. The slurry is wlp001 and vial is 002. I don't mind mixing the two. I'll just pitch the vial and that top layer... may turn out to be a nice surprise. Thanks for your info.

5.5 gal into fermenter. The slurry is wlp001 and vial is 002. I don't mind mixing the two. I'll just pitch the vial and that top layer... may turn out to be a nice surprise. Thanks for your info.

I don't think you will notice any difference in the flavor of your porter combining 001 and 002. Report back on how your brew ferments and finishes.

Back