fruit in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garym

Reaction score
im thinking about making a raspberry ale, using frozen fruit.
can someone tell how much to use (for 5 gal. batch), how to prep it, and how long to leave it in ????
:mug: thanks all!

It depends on how strong you want the raspberry flavor to be. For my blueberry wheat I use 1lb of frozen blueberries, leave them in for about 5 days then rack to a tertiary for a few more days to let the remaining blueberry debris settle out. This gives a nice light blueberry taste, not overpowering at all. If you want a stronger berry taste use more berries or just leave them in longer.

To prep my berries I basically pasteurize them on the stovetop. Just put them in a sanitized sauce pan with a little water and hold them around 170-180* for about 15 minutes, let them cool then rack onto them in the secondary

I did a cherry wheat a couple of months ago and I used 5lbs of cherries. I pureed the cherries then heated them to about 170 for 10 or 15min.

Latest posts

Back