Single IPA into Double?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennyg

Reaction score
Hi,
I made a nice IPA (Chinook IPA all grain from Northern Brewer) and was thinking about trying to kick it up a bit by increasing all the ingredients by 40%. The recipe below reflects Northern Brewers recipe for Chinook IPA with all malts and hops multiplied by 1.4 (I added the Mosaic to dry hop last time and plan to do so again). I know I should be using some kind of brewing software but haven't bought that yet. Can someone please check the proposed recipe below and let me know what you think? Really what I should do is just follow the EXACT recipe I made last time since it came out so well but I just cannot help myself. Thanks for any advice!

14lbs 2-row pale malt
1lb Belgian Caramel Pils
0.35lb Briess Caramel 120

1oz Chinook (60min)
0.7oz Chinook (10min)
0.7oz Chinook (1min or FO)

1.5oz Chinook (dry hop)
1.5oz Mosaic (dry hop)

Mash at 152F for 1 hour. Boil for 60 minutes. Use Nottingham Ale yeast or maybe Wyeast 1056.

I think I would cut the carapils down to half a pound. Mash it lower than 152. I think with the crystal malts and high mash your iipa will be too sweet. I'd mash around 147-148 for 60 min. I think you need to boost your hop additions significantly too, especially your late additions.

I'm on my phone app so can't throw the recipe into my calculator to give exact details of the conversion.

Agreed on the carapils note. Id bump your late additions by at least double and possibly add a lb or two of munich or vienna to give it more of a malt backbone.

Thanks guys. I've still got a few weeks until I brew so I can refine the recipe. Another option I may look at is finding a good IIPA recipe and then just substituting the hop bill for my Chinook/Mosaic bill. Or I'll just brew the original darned recipe and probably be happy as a clam.

I bottled Centennial Blonde on Saturday and I'm itching to take a sample. The (flat) beer was great at bottling, can't wait until it carbs up!

Back