HERMS coil attachment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N5629

Reaction score
Those of you out there who have HERMS - how do you connect your hex coil through the wall of your HLT?

I have an idea of how I'd do it - but it would be good to hear how others have done it too, since there always seems to be a better/simpler/stronger way to do anything popping up at HBT.

Many people use compression fittings with a threaded end, that end goes through the wall and is secured on the opp. side.

Mine goes through the lid... depends on your system setup.

Remember to keep the coil LOW in the kettle so that it is totally submerged if possible, to help in heating eff. of the coil. If it is above the water to any degree, that is wasted coil.

mines a clone of jcdillin's I did weldless fittings, and I have a nipple w/ a compression fitting on the inside connecting to the HEX coil (2x obviously, one for inlet, one for outlet, but I'm only talking about one, they're duplicates) and a union on the outside connected to a quick connect end. Then my hoses can connect/disconnect easily. I use a washer and silicone gasket to seal them, they really only need to be hand tightened too which is nice.

Wow, that is close to the price of one.

Where was that auction when I was building my setup. Bugger...

Saved searches for the win.... sorry.

I just finished collecting my compression fittings with those. Another step closer to actually brewing again. It feels like forever!!!!!

10 gallon rubbermaid beverage cooler - actually managed to find one at Home Depot for $40 or so.

I'll admit it is not the slickest looking set-up, but I just connect my 1/2" ID silicone hose directly to my 1/2" OD Copper coil. I use a single hose clamp on each one. I like it because the coil is not physically secured into the HLT, and I could remove it and bring it inside when temps were still below freezing in the garage. Pol has a good point about keeping as much submerged as possible, but I have 50' in there, so I don't worry about it.

IMG_1415.JPG

Latest posts

Back