Noobie, Extract IPA Recipe Advice / Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gono

Reaction score
Hello, (hope this is in the right forum)

First Post, glad to be here!!! I'm fairly new to brewing... Like a lot of people I started out doing the Mr. Beer thing... I've brewed that stuff for a little over a year. So, I would like to say I know the basics and have done a little research. I have now moved to doing my first non-MB extracts. I still brew 2.5 gallon batches because I live in an apartment and my MB fermenters fit so nicely in my closet.

I am trying to create my first IPA on my own based off a few recipe's I've found here and elsewhere. I really would just like another to eye the recipe and see if I made any flaws or anything just looks wacky. Thanks in advance.

Note: I created this brew in beersmith and it seems to agree it will turn out to be an IPA :D

2.5 gallon batch...

Recipe - INTERN ... IPA

.5 lbs Crystal Mal 60L - Crushed ... Steep 30 mins in 1.5 gallons of water.
3 lbs Extra Light DME - 1 lb @ 30 / 2lb @ 10 mins
.5 oz Warrior Hops - Added @ 30
.5 oz Amarillo Hops - Added @ 15
1/10 tsp Irish Moss - Added @ 15
.5 lbs Honey @ flameoff.
Safale US-05

.5oz Amarillo hops Dry Hopped for 4 days.

Any advice would be great!

Cheers!

For a 5 gallon batch I would say your .5 lb Crystal is spot on, but since you're doing 2.5 gallon batches I'd say to back off a bit on the Crystal to .25 lb. I don't know what the AA% of your hops are, but that seems a little weak for an IPA hop bill. I'd add some more addition between 15 min and flame out as well as increase the dry hop amount to 1.5 - 2 oz or so. That way you get big hop aroma and flavor with the clean bitterness from the Warrior. The way you have it now it seems like a APA hop bill with an IPA grain bill which will lead to the perception of excessive sweetness.

Thanks for the reply!

I tend to agree with you on the mixing of styles, as I am a fairly new I just kind of threw this together. The hops I am using are Warrior 15% and ended up using Cascade 5.5% as midwest was out of Amarillo. I also agree with you about the crystal malt I think I will use .25 like you suggested Could you maybe tell me how you would modify the recipe to make a true IPA?

Cheers!

I threw your recipe into BeerSmith then modified it how I would do it and here's what I came up with:

3.5 # Extra Light DME
.25 # Crystal 60L

.5 oz Warrior (15%) 60 minutes
.5 oz Cascade (5.5%) 15 minutes
.5 oz Cascade (5.5%) 10 minutes
.5 oz Cascade (5.5%) 5 minutes
.5 oz Cascade (5.5%) 0 minutes

Ferment with US-05

2 oz Cascade (5.5%) Dry Hop for 7 days

Awesome! Nuke, Thank you! I might have to try this next time! Im going to plug this into beersmith and save it!

Anyone else have any other advice?

Back