Any recommendations on first brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Chin

Reaction score
My new kit's in the mail after my first one turned out to be sucky. Now I just need to decide which beer I want to start off with. Are there certain recipes that are better off left to more experienced brewers? I truly love all beers so it doesn't matter what my first batch is.

Cheers

I think a wheat beer is the way to go. It takes much less time and you can work up your confidence while sampling it and then make another batch that you have sit a bit longer.

Fish is on to something there. A quick beer for your first batch is a good way to start. A week ago I made an IPA for my first batch. I'm sure it'll be great, but I hadn't anticipated how impatient I'd be to try my own home-made beer - and I'm wishing I'd gone for a smaller beer to start with, so it'd be done quicker.

I don't have any experience brewing wheat beers, but I seem to remember reading that as they're not supposed to be clear, you don't need to rack them to secondary. And they're not particularly high in alcohol, so they don't need such a long time to mature.

What was the first brew you made? How did it go wrong? I'd suggest you look for an amber or pale ale but only if those are beer styles you like (otherwise, what's the point). The wheat suggestion is also a good one.

Latest posts

Back