Yeasty Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewneely

Reaction score
Bottled a batch of vanilla cream soda last Sunday. Carbonated up quickly and tasted the first bottle on Friday. The soda had a real yeasty taste to it. Anyone know why and if this can be remedied by aging? Thinking maybe yeast is still suspended in soda and maybe needs to settle out more. I used Gnome extract and Red Star champagne yeast.

Red Star Champagne yeast is the most "neutral" yeast I can think of and doesn't tend to leave a yeasty taste behind. How much yeast did you use, in what size batch?

You can try chilling the soda longer, and very carefully pouring off of the yeast once the yeast falls out- that should help.

Yooper - I used a whole packet (5 grams) for a 5 gallon batch. I have since placed the bottles in the freezer for a couple of hours and then moved them to the refrigerator. Time will tell.

Just an update, the soda bottles have been in the fridge for 2 weeks. I tried another one last night and the strong yeasty flavor has subsided. The soda turned out good, but not great, and will not have to be discarded.

Back