fall is approaching! what are you brewing to prepare?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liebertron

Reaction score
Fall is approaching, though over here in Virginia you really wouldn't know it.

I am still deciding what to brew in the coming days so that it is nice and ready for the fall. What are you brewing?

Mocha stout in a few weeks. Fall is hot coffee weather here in north Idaho. Figure a nice mocha flavored milk stout might just do the trick. On deck after that will be a hoppy amber which will hopefully be similiar to rogues All American.

Well I have a blonde ipa fermenting( don't ask haha), but i know my father is planning on doing a pumpkin amber ale with some of our home grown sweet pumpkins when they ripen up.

I've already got my pumpkin ale going, been 2 weeks in primary. I have a smoked and Oaked RIS I'm gonna brew soon. I've also been thinking of brewing a small batch of an off the wall version of a cock ale using ; roast turkey breast, pumpkin, butternut squash, yams, black peppercorn, and corn. Kind of like a thanksgiving saison of some weird sorts.

I sure hope you two are joking. Never heard of such specialty (poultry) ale before. So I Googled, then almost puked.

On tap: Wheelmen's Weak Pale Ale
Fermenting: 2012 Barley Wine
Next brew: Young Katherine's Imperial stout, Mr. Porter & Lil' Libby's Brown Ale

After that? Your suggestions would be helpful. Suggest 3 beers: One very high gravity, one medium and one low gravity.

I did a foreign extra stout a few weeks back that is now split into various secondaries with oak, oak + rum, pb2, and plain. Those will be my après ski beers come winter. I have one more ipa to do this weekend, then I have planned to do a weizen split up with various late summer fruits.

Debating a pumpkin ale, but thinking about just skipping it. Not sure..... If only I didn't have this damned day job

Brewed a Oatmeal Stout last weekend, and i've got an Apfelwein a month and a half in the primary.
October should be a good month at my house.

I'm doing KingBrian's Samhain Oktoberfest this weekend, then a bourbon vanilla porter next week. Also planned are a chocolate milk stout with some chilis, and a nice smooth pale ale to wash down thanksgiving.

Also, off topic but I'm setting up my keg system this weekend. Whoo!

I've got an imperial oaked pumpkin ale about a week into primary. Tomorrow I'm brewing an octoberfest style ale and possibly an oatmeal stout. Fall is a busy brewing season for me.

Oktoberfest just moved to keg for lagering. Also did a series of Oatmeal beers - oatmeal amber, oatmeal brown, oatmeal porter and oatmeal stout. I can just move to darker beer the colder it gets:) I also have a smoked bourbon porter that I brewed 6 months ago that will be ready this fall/winter.

First AG - Lil-Sparky's brown ale with a tiny tweak.

I'm hoping it turns out well, then it will be used as a backbone for a pumpkin ale!

Next week I will brew a Munich Dunkel for my fall beer. I am running behind as I should already have it done and starting to age. It will be ready for mid November though.

Brewed a Belgian Dubbel in early May. Added some cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and orange peel to the boil to make a "Winter Warmer" out of it. It's been conditioning at room temp in the keg for about two months now. I plan to tap it sometime after Oct. 1st. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

I'm thinking of a few smaller batches 2.5 gallons for some variety. Imp Pumkpin Ale, DIPA, Choc Mint Stout, some Belgian (maybe quad). I have a RIS w/ vanilla, bourbon, and oak in bombers that will be ready hopefully by Thanksgiving. My first try in bottle will be next week, a month in bottles, and I have a feeling it wont be close, but who knows??
I love my winter brews!

Just bottled an Octoberfest last weekend, brewing a Holiday spiced Robust Porter this weekend, and bottling my pumpkin brown next week. Looking forward to not baby sitting the swamp cooler. It's like having a third child!

Next up for me is an Irish Red Ale (not seasonal, it's my fav and I am out) but some type of stout is going to be done and may try a pumpkin brew, maybe a pumpkin spice stout. Hmmmm, liking the sound of that, thanks for the inspiration.

Next up for me is an Irish Red Ale (not seasonal, it's my fav and I am out) but some type of stout is going to be done and may try a pumpkin brew, maybe a pumpkin spice stout. Hmmmm, liking the sound of that, thanks for the inspiration.

You're welcome :cross:

It does sound good!

Should be getting my dedicated chest freezer for fermentation any day now...So I'll be brewing a Bo Pils and an Octoberfest once it arrives.

About to do a Pumpkin Ale and an Oktoberfest.
After that I will be getting ready for late fall/early winter and will do a Bannana Bread Ale and a Holiday Spice Ale
In the planning stages for later winter is a coffee stout and maybe a Buttered Rum Ale

I'm thinking I am going to do a pumpkin ale this year. i know boring, but I haven't done one yet and fall seems like a good time for it

I've got my vanilla pumpkin lager lagering until mid-October. I'm planning a Belgian pale ale (last summer beer) and an oatmeal stout that I've been thinking about adding coffee and/or lactose to. My grand plan for the winter involves a 1.112 behemoth of a dopplebock. I also plan on brewing some kind of winter warmer for Christmas time, but I haven't even begun to start the recipe for that yet.

Zuljin said:
Pecan porter and a Ruby Redbird clone.

And yeah, it doesn't feel like fall is anywhere to be thought of yet.

I love ruby red bird so I made a similar ipa version. Simcoe, cascade, a touch of fresh ginger, and blood orangeade. And good call with the pecans... I've had Lazy Magnolias pecan brown and it was awesome. Apparently they did a lot of experimenting before settling on pecans to use without having a huge oil problem.

I've got a Chocolate Coffee Oatmeal Stout with oak added that's bulk conditioning right now. Working on a pumpkin ale tomorrow, Bourbon Vanilla Porter (oaked) later this month. Here in Seattle we move straight from "Summer" to Winter, so these will be good to have. Also doing a big NW citrus IPA (17oz of hops for a 5 gallon batch) that i'll be able to drink while all these bigger beers do their thing. I'm hoping to be able to have at least a couple of them ready by November.

Since we only seem to get about one month of fall weather (November) I never brew for the season. Plus, with all the pumpkin ales and oktoberfests on the market I rarely find myself drinking homebrew.

I love ruby red bird so I made a similar ipa version. Simcoe, cascade, a touch of fresh ginger, and blood orangeade. And good call with the pecans... I've had Lazy Magnolias pecan brown and it was awesome. Apparently they did a lot of experimenting before settling on pecans to use without having a huge oil problem.

I've been reading the Ruby clone threads here for an idea of what to do. Citra will be the predominate hop.

The pecan recipe is from a member here too. Wild Ginger. So you say the pecans don't make a huge oil problem? I'm thinking of either shelling pecans or buying shelled pecan halves. Blot off as much oil as I can with paper towels. Maybe cop them and blot some more. And maybe put them in the oven on low, wrapped in paper towels to get even more. Or maybe set them in the sun on paper towels.

I'm working in Montana for the next few months, so brewing will be tough, but I'm home every 2 weeks and have plenty of plans. Just bottled my Super Pale Ale, and ordered my bourbon aged RIS ingredients...I also want to try the Town Hall Hope and King Scotch Ale kit and Surly Smoke kit from Northern Brewer

I've been reading the Ruby clone threads here for an idea of what to do. Citra will be the predominate hop.

The pecan recipe is from a member here too. Wild Ginger. So you say the pecans don't make a huge oil problem? I'm thinking of either shelling pecans or buying shelled pecan halves. Blot off as much oil as I can with paper towels. Maybe cop them and blot some more. And maybe put them in the oven on low, wrapped in paper towels to get even more. Or maybe set them in the sun on paper towels.

Probably not a good idea. I'd find another way to get the oil out. Do you have a press of any kind? Maybe wrap them in paper towel, wrap that in foil, then squeeze it in a clamp or vice. Sounds good in my head anyway :)

Back