4 week kit almost done, now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kr651129

Reaction score
I've got the WE Diablo Rojo kit and they say it's ready to drink at 4 weeks. I'm entering the final stages. I'm adding the last of the packets it came with soon and here's my question. With these cheaper kits will I add a noticeable improvement by racking the wine and letting it bulk age in the carboy? How long should I let it age and should I cover the carboy to protect it from light?

kr651129 said:
I've got the WE Diablo Rojo kit and they say it's ready to drink at 4 weeks. I'm entering the final stages. I'm adding the last of the packets it came with soon and here's my question. With these cheaper kits will I add a noticeable improvement by racking the wine and letting it bulk age in the carboy? How long should I let it age and should I cover the carboy to protect it from light?

Yes, let it bulk age a few months. If you need to free up the carboy, let it bottle age before you drink it.

It MAY be drinkable now, but it will get better the longer you let it sit.

It isn't ready to drink in 4 weeks, its ready to BOTTLE in 4 weeks.

Huge difference, it should sit in the bottle (or carboy if you choose to bulk age) for a minimum of 3 months, but a year is not out of the question.

It isn't ready to drink in 4 weeks, its ready to BOTTLE in 4 weeks.

Huge difference, it should sit in the bottle (or carboy if you choose to bulk age) for a minimum of 3 months, but a year is not out of the question.

+1

Yes NOT drinkable, its ready to BOTTLE. Can't tell you how many people read THAT wrong on the box! :)

Having said that, definitly open a bottle about a month after you fill the bottles. And open another one every month afterward. You will really see the journy the wine takes and how much better it is 6 to 9 months down the road.

Its VERY tough to wait, but try!

Thanks everyone for the input. I added the metabisulfite and sweet reserve last night. I tried it before adding them and to my surprise it tastes awesome as is. To be fair I'm not a big wine person, that being said if I like it as is I'll defiantly wait it out and let it age. Here's the next question I need to figure out. I thought I had added all of the oak. I found two more packets that I must have hid away 3 weeks ago. Should I add these to the carboy or let it be?

If you like it, then no I say leave it alone!

The difference between 'settling' for what is offered in a store versus making it yourself is perfectly illustrated here. You like it, it tastes good to you, it could be too oaky (that's a technical term, lol) if you add TWO more packets of oak, so why do it?

The beauty of homebrew is you make it to your tastes, because YOU matter most. :)

Back