First airlock explosion. Crazy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jester5120

Reaction score
After about 4 years of brewing i've had my first airlock go flying and paint the ceiling. I brewed a 4 gallon batch of what will be a 120 minute ipa clone and i poured it onto a nottingham yeast cake from a previous batch and into a 6 gallon better bottle. It was fermenting within 3 hours and this morning I found an airlock on the floor and a new color on my walls. I thought 2 gallons of head space would be enough but it definately wasn't. I feel like an experienced brewer and i'm proud of it :D

I cleaned up right away but i got one picture of the carboy.

IMAG0169.jpg

Nice it looks like a chocolate mate gone bad or a rootbeer float.... LOL

Oh nice one! I've only had this happen once and it was in a 6g better bottle and wasn't even my beer to boot. My FIL brewed with me one day and decided to leave it at my house while it fermented. Needless to say I got to scrub double chocolate stout off the bottom of the basement stairs for a good hour the next morning.

Congrats on joining the club!

We had something like that happen a few months ago. One evening we were watching videos on the comp with some beers. The fermenter stand is to the right of the comp hutch,her batch nearest the comp. Nearly right in front of her. We raised our glass for a drink,then suddenly a loud POP! Her batch had blown the lid 3/4's of the way off right in front of her! Good thing it was mostly gas. I might've gotten a face full of beer. Just some spattering & airlock to clean. Put a blow off on it for the next couple days.

I have had blow off tubes blow up before lol, luckily I have only had smallish messes to clean up and not shattered glass

remman4 said:
I have had blow off tubes blow up before lol, luckily I have only had smallish messes to clean up and not shattered glass

Don't scare me like that. I always use a blow off

Awesome stuff!

I got the call one day at work "that my beer blew up"! Needless to say I had to repaint the bathroom!!!

:mug:

Grumpybumpy said:
Do you have it sitting in time out for being a bad boy?

Haha yeah kinda. My house thermostat is about a foot above the carboy so I put the carboy there for poor man's temp control. Maybe it blew up cuz it was pissed about time out

Back