How many raisins in a bottle for priming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooby_Brew

Reaction score
Just for ****s and giggles, I want to prime with raisins, what do you guys think, how many raisins should I drop in each 12 oz bottle?

I suspect it will take so many that it will make the beer undrinkable. I've used a raisin puree in the boil bofore but never to just 'drop' into bottles. Hopefully someone can give you the exact sugar potential of raisins.

Raisins are a repulsive abomination. Putting them in beer is the gravest sin imaginable.

That said, you can probably figure it out by looking at a the nutrition info on your box of raisins. Or, better yet, soak a few raisins in water for a week and see how much sugar comes out.

You could prolly calculate it based on the nutrition info/serving on the packet based on the information I posted in my bottling thread based on the basic brewing podcast about alternative priming methods. I used it to prime with jaggery mollasses in my sri lanking stout, and it carbed fine.

Scroll to the lower half of this post.

I love raisins....But I bet it would take a lot just to do it in the bottle. I would figure out how much, add them to 2 cups boiling water and let them rehydrate, then mascerate them in a sanitized food processor and then push through a sieve or a strainer till you just have the liquid, then I'd add it just like I would normally prime with 2 cups of water and 5 ounces of sugar.

He might get more sh*ts than giggles though... :eek:

I would only use them in some bottles, not an entire batch. That way, you have a control to compare against, with the exact same recipe. It might be ok early on, but I suspect that you could get some funk if the bottles hang around too long.

Any update on this?

I too am planning to carbonate a 6pk of my 5g batch with raisins just for poops and haha's. the recipe i have is supposedly a "prohibition recipe" that calls for 4 raisins per bottle.

That's what the book says. Wasn't sure if anyone ever brewed it before. I'm also going to run it through a secondary so I'm wondering if ill need to cut back on the raisins

I made a stout one year ago that I primed some bottles with 6 raisins. It turned out ok, did not carb as much as the rest of the batch though. I just found another bottle that is a year old. I am drinking it as I write. It has no head, no carbonation but boy is it smooth. It is black and rich, kind of like a barley wine. I can't wait for my Founders Breakfast Stout to get some age. It's still in the carboy aging. I might bottle it in a couple of weeks and let it age... A lot.

Back