Ideas for a water supply line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cswank

Reaction score
Hello,
I need to connect a water supply line to my brewery. I was planning on connecting a copper flex tube to the supply line of the sink in my basement, then run it about 40 feet to where I am building my brewery.

I'm wondering if anyone has an idea for an alternative to the copper flex tubing. It is expensive, I always have a hard time connecting it so it doesn't leak, and on the brewery end I have a solenoid valve that has a plastic NPT connection, and in the past I've also have had a hard time coupling copper tubing to plastic solenoid valves.

So, does anyone no of a cheap alternative that won't make my beer taste like a garden hose?

Craig

PS. You can the beginnings of my brewery and the software that I'm working on to control it at: http://code.google.com/p/pybrewery/ (I love the electronic/software part of this, beer is a happy by-product).

get some food grade plastic tubing that is 5/8 in size and just put your own male and female ends on it you could even put a piece in the middle of it to add sanatizer if you feel thats neccasary or you could use PVC pipe 1/2' with a short piece food grade hose on both ends to make connections simpler.

Thanks. I searched for 'food grade tubing' on google and found a bunch of stuff. I don't know why I didn't think of that.

I think that's the way to go, for sure.

Try the HD or Lowes plumbing section for 1/2" "PEX" water supply tubing and the push connect fittings. Only caution is try not to kink tubing during installation and pull on the tubing after install to test the push in tube connections to save a suprise when water is turned on and a tube pops out.

Another alternative is PEX tubing. This is a plastic water line and has all kinds of fittings that make it easy to connect and adapt to copper lines. It is semi-flexible and relatively easy to install. Or so I'm told, I have no personal experience with it. Big box home stores like Lowes or Home Depot sell it.

If you want a temporary supply, go to an RV supply store and buy some of the potable water hose they sell. It looks like white garden hose.

Thanks to the PEX suggestions. I must amend my original 'I think that's the way to go, for sure.'

Ditto on PEX. The fitting are expensive, but you only need one at each end. When my garage was built that's what they used and I've added to it with no tools other than a sharp knife and a cup of hot water. Everything in the garage froze this winter and no leaks, no damage.

I like the PEX. I already have the water line running to my brewery. One step closer...

They have 'shark' fittings for PEX now, you just slip the tubing into a brass coupling and its done. Only problem is they are like $8-$10 a fitting...but so friggin easy.

I used PEX for the plumbing on my rig. You can get the simple crimp pliers at Home Depot for about 10 dollars. It takes some muscle to get them crimped but if you only have to do a few it works great. I ended up crimping about 30 connections in a row. My hands hurt after that one.

I have had no leaks and the flexibility of the pipe is great.

Edit: Keg Connections has what I got at home depot. Simple, cheap tool

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=226

I heated PEX tubing and inserted barbed fittings to make a 100' portable water "hose".
I attach one end to a hose bib, the other to a whole house filter and it has been working great.
I didn't use any clamps and have had no problems in almost a year of use.

I heated PEX tubing and inserted barbed fittings to make a 100' portable water "hose".
I attach one end to a hose bib, the other to a whole house filter and it has been working great.
I didn't use any clamps and have had no problems in almost a year of use.

Good point. I did the same on my Camlock Fittings. I heated the barb then pushed it into the tube. It does not leak at all and I too am not using clamps on those connections.

Not sure what the rest of your house is plumbed with but I just plumbed in another 3/4" supply line out of copper pipe to my brewstand. Mine is not portable though.

Pex? .......................

It is the water line used to install service into residential homes. It may also be used elsewhere, but thats where I came in contact with it.

It's kinda hard plastic, not overly flexible and I don't think it is intended to be exposed long term to UV (it's usually buried).

What I got was 1/2" id X 100' from Lowes... was on a clearance for something like $18.

I roll it up (about a 3' roll) and store it inside between brews.

I smell and taste the water out of it before each brew, so far so good.

Back