Sitting here wondering...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayaBrew

Reaction score
...why is it that when someone starts a thread about making "hootch", the OP gets tarred and feathered, when for all intents and purposes, "Apfelwein" is nothing more than hootch with a fancy German name. Seriously, it's common grocery store apple juice, sugar and yeast. It's not really all that different than convicts making hootch out of juice, sugar, and yeast from the prison commisary and fermenting it in a garbage bag under their cot in a prison cell.

I'm not condoning making nasty hootch just to get into sorority sisters' pants (there are other ways to do that), but are we really so aloof and naive to think Apfelwein is a classy beverage?

I have to say the one that bugs me the most are those looking for the absolute quickest way to get their brew done & ready to drink. That to me is someone treating home craft brew like it's nothing more than "hooch",skid row scotch (pure fermented pumpkin),fermenting juice off the store shelf (the ones in the plastic jugs),et all.
Those folks need to think about a couple possibilities;
1) Do I really just want something to get really drunk on?
2) Do I want something of higher quality to get drunk on?
3) Do I want something that has great flavors & aromas to relax with at the end of the day?
4)......or am I just bs'ing myself,& want something classier to get drunk on that's more respectable? ;):D:drunk::tank:

Well, one could easily argue that Apfelwein is a recognizably historical and cultural beverage. It has a pedigree and it has culture attached to it. And there are locations and regions attacted to it.

Cider in Germany is called Apfelwein (German, apple wine), as the German language has not used the word cider.[1] It is also regionally known as ebbelwoi, äppler, stöffsche, apfelmost (apple must), viez (from Latin vice, the second or substitute wine), and saurer most (sour must). It has an alcohol content of 5.5%–7% and a tart, sour taste. The name äppler, mainly used by large producers, is generally not used in restaurants or by smaller manufacturers who instead call the beverage schoppen or schoppe which refers to the measure of the glass. The cider is mainly made from eating or cooking apples, such as Granny Smith and Bramley; and, in the Frankfurt area, berries from the Service Tree (Sorbus domestica), are added in bags to increase astringency,[2] this specific type of apfelwein is called Speierling.

Apfelwein is made from pressed apples. The juice or must is fermented with yeast to produce an alcoholic beverage usually around 6% abv. Apfelwein can be made with the addition of the unprocessed juice from the fruit of a small, indigenous tree known as Speierling (Sorbus domestica) or Speyerling, an endangered species that is easily confused with the wild apple.

Apfelwein is mainly produced and consumed in Hesse (where it is the state beverage), particularly in the Frankfurt, Wetterau and Odenwald areas. It is also found in Moselfranken, Merzig (Saarland) and the Trier area; as well as the lower Saar area and the region bordering on Luxembourg. In these regions there are several large producers as well as numerous small, private producers who use traditional recipes. Some of the most famous restaurants where Apfelwein is served are in Sachsenhausen (Frankfurt am Main). In some of these regions there are regular cider competitions and fairs, in which the small, private producers participate. Cider songs are composed and sung at these events. The Merzig region crowns a Viez Queen, and the lower Saar area a Viez King.

Culture

Apfelwein may be served in a "geripptes", a glass with a lozenge cut that refracts light. The size of the geripptes glass is usually 0.25 litre although there is a larger variant that holds 0.3 litre, as well as a glass that holds the doubled amount of 0.5 litres. Traditional Apfelwein restaurants and their habitual guests generally hold to the 0.3-litre standard. Therefore a 0.25l glass is often named a "beschisserglas" (rip-off glass) as it contains less Apfelwein for the same price. The serving of Apfelwein in other kinds of glasses (for example, longdrink glasses) is rare. A geripptes filled with Apfelwein is also called a "schoppen".

Apfelwein is also available in the bembel (a specific Apfelwein jug). The paunchy jar (made from salt-glazed stoneware) usually has a basic grey colour with blue detailing. The different sizes are usually designated after their contents in glasses (for example "4er" (vierer) or "8er" (achter) bembel, the small 0.25 litres or the 0.3 litres of glasses are taken as a basis depending upon place of use. Accordingly, a 4er bembel can contain 1 litre, or 1.2 litres of Apfelwein). In the Eifel region, near Hunsrück, around Moseltal, along the lower Saar and in Trier, the drinking container is called "viezporz" and consists of white porcelain or stoneware. Hot Apfelwein is commonly taken as an old household remedy against colds, or as a warming beverage in the cold season. The Apfelwein is heated and served with a cinnamon stick, possibly with cloves and/or a slice of lemon.

An official Viez route, (Route du Cidre) connects Saarburg with the border to Luxembourg. Also an annual Viez Fest is celebrated in Merzig. The date is usually the second Saturday in October.

Historically there were restaurants known as Apfelwein Restaurants. Like this, and this.

There's commercial products-

Apfelwein.jpg

EGB0302_Adler_Schoppe.bmp

There are jugs and glassware attached to the "culture" just like wine and beer glasses-

apfelwein-mugs_901.jpg

So tell me how Apfelwein is like "hootch?" Yeah you get drunk off it....but that's about where the similarities end if you actually do a little looking into the cultural/historical aspects of the beverage.

Besides most of us who have made apfewein for awhile have come to realize despite how a lot of newby apfewein makers believe, it's not a quick turnaround beverage- I'm finding so far that year to year and half old apfelwein is much better than what a lot of folks are drinking when they make it.

I have to say the one that bugs me the most are those looking for the absolute quickest way to get their brew done & ready to drink.

Almost as much as it bugs me when people insist you primary every beer regardless of style for 3-4 weeks.

_

What does the history have to do with anything? It doesn't change what the product is.

Some would look down upon beer as a simple drink made from crushed GRAIN and drank in mere weeks, as opposed to a drink made from the noble grape, and aged for years...

Should we call apfelwein hooch if it's less than a year old?

Was the hard cider I made as a kid a historical drink, or hooch because I hid it from my folks in the basement?

Boy, I got to tell you, I thought I was going to get super-harshed on for starting this thread. The replies have been a pleasant surprise. I'm not in any way knocking Apfelwein, nor am I promoting hooch. I was just curious as to whether my opinion was baseless or not.

If not for Apfelwein, my buddy would have never been allowed to buy a new truck, a mountain bike, and a scope for his deer rifle all in one year. He waits until the missus "gets into the sauce" as he likes to say, then makes his pitch. His wife (also a good friend of mine) is a massage therapist, and we worked out a trade deal involving apfelwein and massages. Freakin' awesome!

Moonshine (hooch) is part of American culture. There is special ceramic jugs for moonshine. Kinda the same as Apfelwein.

Moonshine (hooch) is part of American culture. There is special ceramic jugs for moonshine. Kinda the same as Apfelwein.

And I don't think that's even the type of hooch come down on here, it's more like the pruno type that we get on here on occasion- usually by folks underage. Or just plain nasty cheap highs.

We don't talk about moonshining because, unfortunately still, distillation is illegal in the states, and we avoid talking about illegal activity. I'd love to be able to experiment (legally) with that process, and I'd love to also be able to talk about it- for me primarily the historical/cultural aspects of it. Just like you mentioned.

plus, the apfelwein made by germans (at least historically) didn't involve apple juice from walmart.

The ceramic jug is a stereotype. My grandma made it up to when I was a kid. I cut teeth on it. It was run into quart jars & sold white or keg charred for $5 a quart all the way back to "Hoover's time" as pop used to say. Gallon glass jugs in the trunk of a "runner's" car. we didn't call'em rum runners or moon runners,just runner's.

My mental image of "Hooch" is something quick and cheap made for the sole purpose of getting wasted. I could go buy some cheap vodka for that, but I brew to make something either different, or test my skills at making something as close to the original as I can. It wouldn't be a hobby if I didn't spend a bunch of time and money for something I could go out and buy.

Exactly so. My reason for doing the best I can to produce as good an ale as I can manage. It is,to me,home made craft beer.

Back