light 90 shilling recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackwaterbrewer

Reaction score
i am working on a recipe for a light 90 shilling style ale. (odell's 90 shilling)

here is what i have so far:

9# dingeman pale
8oz caramel 60L
4oz carapils
2oz black patent
3oz aromatic
8oz biscuit
2oz roasted barley
4oz peated malt (will 2 oz of smoked malt work?)

1oz Centenial (boiling)
1oz kent goldings (15 minute)
irish moss (15 minute)

edinburg ale (WL)

- i am looking for that bready, malty, slightly fruity flavor with medium mouthfeel and crisp yet toasted,malty finish.

any thoughts?

i have never used the peat, but it was listed in several scottish ale recipes. im not looking for any smoke flavor, just the pronounced baked bread.

Looking back at your recipe, I see a redundancy with the black patent and roasted barley as well.

The Centennial is out of place; what other hops do you have in stock?

i am looking for a fruity hop flavor with low bitterness and very little aroma. i have nothing in stock. you are right about the black patent, that was a typo.

Shillings traditionally don't have peated malt. If any smokiness is present, it's from process or yeast esters. The BJCP screwed the pooch on that style guide when they put any reference to smoke or peat in the style guides in the past. Homebrewers ended up dropping up to a pound of peat malt and it's just wrong!

Style guide for 80/ now has "Although unusual, any smoked character is yeast- or water-derived and not from the use of peat-smoked malts." The 90/ would be a bigger, bolder 80/.

Hops should be something English. Fuggles, EKG, or Willamette if you can't get the others.

Also, source some Maris Otter to get that bready note or use the pale and then add 8 - 12 oz of Victory malt or some Biscuit. Since I started using MO for everything I've not needed to add something to bump up the bread/biscuit flavor.

are you saying to use marris otter in place of the dingeman's pale. I had 8oz of biscuit, should i add more or use with victory. i have made a fat tire clone which used buiscuit and victory. i like the idea of marris otter.

are you saying to use marris otter in place of the dingeman's pale. I had 8oz of biscuit, should i add more or use with victory. i have made a fat tire clone which used buiscuit and victory. i like the idea of marris otter.

I've standardized on Maris Otter for anything that needs pale malt. I just dig that flavor.

I would probably still use some victory or biscuit even with Maris Otter just to make that bready flavor come forward.

Back