Beer tastes like metal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Britinusa

Reaction score
First time kegging beer and I have been reading some threads here that over carbing beer can leave a metal taste in it, I have a metal taste in mine, i have shook the keg and purged it via the release valve and the metal taste has lessened but it still there, the beer is now flat so there is no carbonation in it but it still has a metallic taste.
Is my beer doomed?

I doubt it's the keg. What type of equipment (i.e. kettle metal, etc)? Water source and mineral content?

I'm using an aluminium brew pot my water is all filtered. I never had this taste with my bottled batches.

Britinusa said:
I'm using an aluminium brew pot my water is all filtered. I never had this taste with my bottled batches.

Huh. Are you sure your keg wasn't compromised in some way, which could lead to rusting??

I find that Magnum hops give off a metalic taste to my palate. Have you brewed this recipe before and have tasted it or is this a new beer that you havent tried?

I have a reverse osmosis filter system that I used for the beer I use a no rinse sanitizer I have brewed this before but I bottled it. I did test some tonight and the metal taste is less, could I be tasting something else? Could it be some other thing that has not settled out yet?

Could aluminium taint the beer? I have seen a stainless steel pot that I want to get.

Thanks I'm going to give it a week or more and try it then, is it better to cold crash in a bucket before transferring to the keg?

Britinusa said:
Thanks I'm going to give it a week or more and try it then, is it better to cold crash in a bucket before transferring to the keg?

Yes

Any idea how long it should be in secondary before this nasty flavor goes away?
I took a look at it today and its clearing but still has a nasty taste, maybe my taste buds are not very good but im wondering if its an acidic taint that im tasting.
It smells the same as it tastes.

Back