Reusing Apfelwein yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captianoats

Reaction score
I've never saved yeast before, but I figure it's time dive into yet another part of brewing :) I wanted to start by saving the yeast from my latest Edwort's Apfelwein batch since I know it wouldn't be long before I make the next batch.

I am using a Manochet yeast. My only concern is that I have read that using yeast off of a high FG beer is risky. I know someone out there has tried this before, please share your results/advice. Thank You.

Remember that montrachet is a wine yeast, and so will likely be more tolerant of ABV. I have not reused it before but many of us keep AW going all the time so it would make sense. I am making typoes and having to correct them because I am finishing off a pint of AW right now. :)

My current batch of AW is sitting on 3068; I think when I bottle it next week I'll toss another 5gal on it and see what happens. If it doesn't make the trip I can always repitch.

heres a neat trick,

at day 2 or 3 your apel wine should be milky white and bubbling like crazy. open your fermenter decant 1 cup of brew (this is your starter)

pour that into your next batch it takes alitlle longer to get going but works just as good. it seems to smell less sulfury also.

good luck

I pitched on a yeast cake once. It turned out OK, but I won't do it again just to save 79 cents.

I just pitched a new batch on my first Apfelwein yeast cake, mostly because I didn't have any spare yeast lying around & wanted to get another batch started pronto. Mail order would have taken a week or more with ridiculous shipping costs.

It took longer to get rolling than I expected, but about 30 hours after putting it on the yeast cake I got great fermentation going that looks good. It smells fine -- in a bit over a month I'll tell you how it tastes, but I think reusing the yeast cake is a fine way to go.

Back