Setting up Beersmith for one gaalon extract and partial mash brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jongrill

Reaction score
I just downloaded Beersmith and I am trying to set up my equipment profile for one gallon extract and partial mash brewing.
I have a few questions:

Do I need to set up different profiles for Extract and Partial Mash?

Does anyone use the scaling feature? I would LOVE to use this as most of the beer I want to make comes from five gallon recipes!

Are there any tips you can give me to setting up this software for one gallon brewing?

Thanks!

jongrill said:
Do I need to set up different profiles for Extract and Partial Mash?

Does anyone use the scaling feature? I would LOVE to use this as most of the beer I want to make comes from five gallon recipes!

Are there any tips you can give me to setting up this software for one gallon brewing?

Assuming your boil off rate, loss to trub, top off volume, etc. are the same between extract and PM, no, I wouldn't think you'd need two different profiles. I have a 5 gallon pot that I use with extract partial boils, and also with 3-gallon AG full boils, so I need separate profiles because my final water volumes are different.

I do use the scaling feature and find that it works very well. Keep in mind that the equipment profiles factor into scaling, so if you're scaling to a batch size where you'd be using completely different equipment, the equipment profile for especially the target need to be created already. I often scale a 5-gallon recipe to brew as either a 3- or 1-gallon batch and have run into no problems.

For 1 gallon brewing, just work on getting that equipment profile where you want it. Once you do a batch or two, you'll get that profile dialed in.

Good luck and enjoy!

CarboyBoy said:
Assuming your boil off rate, loss to trub, top off volume, etc. are the same between extract and PM, no, I wouldn't think you'd need two different profiles. I have a 5 gallon pot that I use with extract partial boils, and also with 3-gallon AG full boils, so I need separate profiles because my final water volumes are different.

I do use the scaling feature and find that it works very well. Keep in mind that the equipment profiles factor into scaling, so if you're scaling to a batch size where you'd be using completely different equipment, the equipment profile for especially the target need to be created already. I often scale a 5-gallon recipe to brew as either a 3- or 1-gallon batch and have run into no problems.

For 1 gallon brewing, just work on getting that equipment profile where you want it. Once you do a batch or two, you'll get that profile dialed in.

Good luck and enjoy!

I'm finding it hard to calculate my losses from boil off and trub loss. I use a two gallon pot for one gallon full boils so top off isn't an issue. I've been estimating each factor and inserting it in the program. Hopefully I get it right one day!

jongrill said:
I'm finding it hard to calculate my losses from boil off and trub loss. I use a two gallon pot for one gallon full boils so top off isn't an issue. I've been estimating each factor and inserting it in the program. Hopefully I get it right one day!

It may take 5 or 6 batches to dial in all those numbers in an equipment profile. You can estimate your boil off rate by putting a measured volume (e.g.,1.5 gallons) in your pot, boil it for an hour, chill, and measure the post boil volume.

I, too, use a 2-gallon pot for my 1-gallon batches. I boil off about 0.36 gallons per hour, and I have no losses because I put all the kettle contents in the fermenter.

Until you dial in your equipment profile, enjoy the process! On my first batch, I missed my OG by 8 points and still made a great beer.

Back