Fermentation time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCalGrandpa

Reaction score
I have a batch if Irish stout that was in the primary fermentation for four days (instructions said 2-4 days). It has been in the second fermentation carboy now also for 4 days (instructions say 4-8 days). Can I bottle today or is there something to be gained in waiting the maximum number of days?

Oh man,talk about jumpin the gun. Did you take gravity readings to make sure it was done fermenting before racking? Usually at 2-4 days,the only thing that's done is initial fermentation. It'll then slowly,uneventfully creep down to FG from there. Then give it another 3-7 days to clean up by products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then bulk prime & bottle.
Many instruction sets given with kits have rediculously short times that're far from accurate. It usually takes about three weeks to be truly done with primary fermentation.

You really don't want to bottle until fermentation is complete. You will need to check the gravity with a hydrometer. I would disregard the instructions. You really probably should've waited to rack to secondary. Quite a debate weather or not its really necessary to transfer to secondary. But if you're going to you should wait till the primary fermentation is complete before racking. Again the yeast will work on their own schedule not ours. Get a hydrometer and use that to check your gravity of the beer. When the gravity is consistent with two readings at least three days apart then it's safe to bottle. Premature bottling could result in bottle bombs.

SoCalGrandpa said:

Or, since you're already at this point... It's been fermenting for 8 days now. Give it another 2-3 weeks and bottle. Since its in secondary, you risk infection, oxygen, etc. when you open it to check. After 4 weeks it will be done, unless you are at a low low temp.

+1 also on leave it and wait. I don't even usually take a gravity reading on my beers now a days till 21 days.

One must wonder who could have written such misguided instructions for this batch kit.

Back