Stout variant experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beesy

Reaction score
So I want to do a 5g batch of stout and break it up after primary fermentation into 5 1-gallon jugs and age each one on different "things"

I'm trying to settle on a recipe and curious what everyone thinks would be something good to use. I'm had been thinking about an American Stout type recipe, but backing off the hops a little. Also thought about an imperial oatmeal stout or RIS. What'cha think?

"Things" I am thinking about putting these 5 variants on are

1) roasted coconut and with a small bit of vanilla bean
2) maple syrup (real maple syrup!) soaked oak cubes and bacon "dryhop"
3) cinnamon and cocoa
4) cognac soaked figs
5) bourbon soaked, roasted nut (thinking macademia)

Tried maple in a beer once. Couldn't tell it was there at all. Should've saved it for pancakes or made some Warsaw Waffles.

Did figs in a BDSA once. Not sure where they ended & the Special B began, but it was tasty.

Cinnamon. It should be on tables in restaurants along with salt and pepper. Anytime someone says, "Ooh, this is so good - what's in this?" the answer invariably comes back, "cinnamon." Cinnamon. Again and again.

Tried maple in a beer once. Couldn't tell it was there at all. Should've saved it for pancakes or made some Warsaw Waffles.

Did figs in a BDSA once. Not sure where they ended & the Special B began, but it was tasty.

Cinnamon. It should be on tables in restaurants along with salt and pepper. Anytime someone says, "Ooh, this is so good - what's in this?" the answer invariably comes back, "cinnamon." Cinnamon. Again and again.

I was hoping aging the oak cubes in syrup would slowly dose it in and would prevent a tad from being fermented out. Who knows....

Back