Conversion kits for 10 gallon IGLOO cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarikapak

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I am trying to find a way to convert my 10 gal. Igloo cooler (model nr. 4101 which is red and yellow) into a MLT.

I've seen the thread about Rubbermaid, but as a newbie, wasn't sure if the dimensions and fittings would be the same.

The site below has different kits for Igloo and Rubbermaid, and I am confused.
http://www.homebrewing.org/10-Gallon-Igloo-or-Rubbermaid-Cooler-False-Bottom-Hardware_p_2865.html

I really don't wanna spend an extra 40-50 bucks for this. Is it ok to follow the instructions for Rubbermaid and build an Igloo MLT?

Thanks for all the help. :mug:

Hi everyone.

I am trying to find a way to convert my 10 gal. Igloo cooler (model nr. 4101 which is red and yellow) into a MLT.

I've seen the thread about Rubbermaid, but as a newbie, wasn't sure if the dimensions and fittings would be the same.

The site below has different kits for Igloo and Rubbermaid, and I am confused.
http://www.homebrewing.org/10-Gallon-Igloo-or-Rubbermaid-Cooler-False-Bottom-Hardware_p_2865.html

I really don't wanna spend an extra 40-50 bucks for this. Is it ok to follow the instructions for Rubbermaid and build an Igloo MLT?

Thanks for all the help. :mug:

You can build it right from the thread you linked and just adjust to your cooler. I'm guessing the only difference will be the wall thickness or the hole size. So move up from 3/8" parts if the hole is larger or drill it larger if its smaller than that. If its just the wall thickness, then just get a shorter or longer brass nipple.

I made mine from that thread too, and had the same Rubbermaid cooler as in the thread. I still ended up making 5 trips to various hardware stores to get everything to fit right. Just save receipts and packaging and most places will let you exchange parts if you find out you need a different size.

I've thought about replacing the push valve that came w/my cooler. Wonder what HD would say if I walked in w/the cooler and tried to find parts that fit that way? :ban:

I've thought about replacing the push valve that came w/my cooler. Wonder what HD would say if I walked in w/the cooler and tried to find parts that fit that way? :ban:

If the employees at your store are anything like they are at mine, they'll ask you what your building and happily offer to help you find parts or inquire about brewing beer at home once you tell them what your doing.

I was going to suggest this.

They most likely won't have a problem with it and it beats the hell out of multiple trips to HD...

I have a Rubbermade and an Igloo that I have converted. I made the Rubbermade from Flyguy's parts list. It has been a long time since I did the Igloo, but I had a little trouble with the build.

If I had it to do over I would take it into Home Depot and build it there...

As a Home Depot Supervisor, I encourage you to bring anything/everything you're working on. Some guys will definitely "point and shoot", but ask if they have a guy that knows everything about everything. Odds are good someone there has helped another customer with brewing builds. I've become the go-to guy when people ask about 1. coolers 2. ball valves 3. stainless braids 4. stainless anything else, and also trained my boss and 2 other dept. heads exactly what's needed to build a MLT from 3 different coolers we offer.

Oh and if they shrug you off, take the online survey and let them know. That gets the right people recognized and the wrong people out.

The only thing I can say is do NOT order the cooler and conversion kit through Amazon.com.
They source through the usual on line hombebrew supply places, but I ordered the cooler and conversion kit through them since they were one of the better prices on a 10 gallon cooler I found.
When I went to put it all together the stainless nipple was too short. Couple other issues also but that was the big one.

If you've got the cooler I would take it to the hardware store for sure. You know it's all going to work then.

Back