Gelatin ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irena

Reaction score
I read somewhere in this forum about gelatin for clarifying the beer,but i don't know how i should use it,actually i want to know how much gelatin is required for 5 gallons of beer and when i should to add it to wort / beer ? and does it affect the smell and the taste of beer ?
Thanks.

It won't effect the taste at all other than removing the yeast.

When I use gelatin (not often since I don't think it's neccissary) I add about 1/3 of a package of plain knox gelatin. Make it according to the package, and cool it to the same temp as your beer. You'll want to have your beer in a fridge cold crashing after it's fully fermented and ready to bottle, then add the gelatin to the beer when it gets to around 35F. Wait a few days and bottle.

Just make sure you follow the directions on the packet.

A half packet of the standard knox stuff is a good amount for 5 gallons (or 1/3 as indicated above).

You can add gelatin any time after the primary fermentation is over. It works best when it's cold. Three days is usually sufficient to clear.

As a follow up, even though it's unsolicited, I tend to agree with SoCo. Clarifying your beer really necessary and, IMHO, is only detrimental overall. Suspended yeast provide nutrients that will be lost if you clarify with gelatin. Why destroy the nutritious part of this wonderful act of nature?

i asked the same question a few months ago and got wildly varying amounts of gelatin to add. i went with 1pkt for a 5 gallon batch. i use a secondary so after 2 week primary and 2 week secondary i moved to the fridge on lets say a monday and then added the gelatin on weds.

i boiled 2 cups of water then let that cool down to 150 added the gelatin, stirred it up a little, let it disolve and then just poured in the seondary. then back in the fridge for 2 days and then kegged as usual. it definitly made a difference in the clearness of the beer.

Thanks for tips.
And final question : Because i don't bottle my beer ,can i add gelatin to the keg and leave it for some months ?

I used gelatin in primary or secondary (if I wash the yeast) before but never in kegs. I kind of affraid that nasty looking jello stuff might not come out all with a first few pints and I risk of dispensing some later half way through the keg in to my buddy's glass. Did anyone had this happened or its safe to just dump it in keg? :confused:

Back