Tentative recipe for crisp light pils/cream ale/rye thing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RachmaelBenApplebaum

Reaction score
So I'm currently working on a batch from some stuff I have lying around from a few odd batches and odds and ends. so without further ado..

3.3lbs Briess CBW pilsen light extract
2lbs 2-row pale malt
1lb Rye malt
1lb Rice Syrup solids

1oz Hallertau 4.3 AA 60 mins
1/2oz Hallertau 4.3AA 30 mins

Safale US-05

So plan on mashing grains for about an hour, proceeding with boil for hop utilization, then adding the extract at the end. The recipe seems sound but, what the hell IS IT? Any criticism? As a side note I can't take out the rye without axing the 2-row (they're mixed together) I mostly just wanted to kick out all the odds and ends I have around since it's a crime I have enough stuff to make a whole batch kinda sittin around.

Ok so today I got out the ingredients proper and it looks like 2lbs of rye malt and 1 lb of 2-row, got the two confused. anyhow the strike water is heating as I type, wish me luck.

SO, for this being my first partial mash it went really well! hit my target O.G. of 1.040 in spite of worries about "mash efficiency". PSH...Buncha overblown nonsense. Never mashed before in my life and got all I could get out of the mashed grains without a sweat. Little temp control, little timing, rudimentary knowledge/research, and BAM, no problem. Almost makes me wanna do AG if it wasn't such a tremendous PITA and if I had the resources and space. Alas, I don't have the luxury of having 10-gallon equipment in multiple fancy-pants stages. Maybe when I can afford it it may happen. See how this batch comes out the other side in a few weeks, for anyone who gives a SH.
RDWHAHB

(p.s. I owe everything I did with the batch to the patience bestowed unto me by my previous APA batch that was perfect, cold, and served in a chilled glass. Absolute foamy perfection)

Too early to tell, but I just rediscovered this thread. I bottled this almost a week ago, and when I tasted the raw wort at bottling it was nothing short of mighty tasty. When I actually get a drink of it I'll report back (with pictures, anyone know good hosting sites?) but I think this recipe is gonna be one worth repeating!

Back