Need a new plan. Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garyr2973

Reaction score
So the electric company won't run a new service into my garage (long story) so I still want to go with a Kal clone but not sure how to set it up with 3- 110v circuits. I was thinking about putting 2 110v elements in both the boil and HLT and running them one at a time and using the other 110 for the panel and pumps. Any ideas?

What is the circuit amperage? With a 20amp circuit you can run a 2000w 120v element. With 15amp you should drop down to 1500w 120v elements.

I don't see any reason why you cannot use Kal's basic plan with the modifications you described, activating either the two elements in the HLT or the two in the BK, but never both at the same time. Your day will be longer waiting to reach temperature, but so it goes.

I use a 1500w and 1650w element in my 12g kettle (9g batches) and it boils just fine. If I were you I'd go with 1650's or 2000w, no less. The wiring would change in that you'd be switching/pulsing two elements instead of one, but it's not insurmountable at all.

All 3 circuits will be 20amp. Will one PID run 2 SSRs in parallel? Any guesstimation on how long it'll take to get 7-8 gallons to a boil with 2 of the 4500 watt elements?

According to electric_heat.xls it will take 19m from 150 to boil using 4000w of total power on 8g of liquid with 95% efficiency.

Striking 4g from 60 to 170 with 4000w power at 95% efficiency will take 17m.

The electric company wont run new service to the garage, but why can't you run a 60 or 100 amp circuit from the house?

Oh trust me Phreaky, it's over for them but not for me. I need to upgrade from a 100 amp to a 200 amp service because the panel is full, then ill run a sub panel out there. I will have this done. Short term though ill just deal with the 3 circuits.

Just have an electrician run another main panel to the garage. It would probably be cheaper than upgrading your main and then running wire to a sub panel.

Latest posts

Back