Dry Hopping resource

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haighter

Reaction score
Is there a good resource out there that tells whether certain hops are good for dry hopping?

I have 3oz of Columbus and 1oz of Horizon in my freezer. The latest batch that I'm fermenting is super-hopped already, but calls for some dry hopping. It would be nice if I could use these, but I'm under the assumption that some hop varietals are more suited for the boil.

I just read this article (http://www.beersmith.com/blog/2008/05/21/dry-hopping-enhanced-hops-aroma/), which I found pretty informative. Sounds like preferred hops for dry hopping are those that are low AA (6% or less). I checked the BYO hop chart, and both Columbus and Horizon are 10%+ AA. Hmm, maybe these wouldn't be a good choice, though I'd rather not have to scoot down to the HBS if I don't need to.

Anyone have experience hopping with the above?

CTZ (Columbus, Tettnanger, and Zeus) are very clean bittering hops. You won't get a whole lot of aroma from them. I think horizon are fairly clean and low on aroma qualities too.

I have 3oz of Columbus and 1oz of Horizon in my freezer. The latest batch that I'm fermenting is super-hopped already, but calls for some dry hopping.

What hops did you use in the boil? What type of beer is this? A recipe is always helpful.

That being said, even though Columbus is a high AA% hop, it has a pungent, spicy, earthy, citrusy profile that would work well as a dry hop. If this is an IPA (I'm assuming here) an ounce or two of Columbus would give your brew a pleasant aroma that would work nicely.

What hops did you use in the boil? What type of beer is this? A recipe is always helpful.

It's a Green Flash West Coast IPA clone. Hop schedule below:

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 oz. Simcoe Pellet 11.90 24.5 90 min.
0.25 oz. Columbus Pellet 14.00 13.1 60 min.
0.25 oz. Simcoe Pellet 11.90 11.1 60 min.
0.25 oz. Columbus Pellet 14.00 6.7 30 min.
0.25 oz. Simcoe Pellet 11.90 5.7 30 min.
0.75 oz. Columbus Pellet 14.00 10.5 15 min.
0.75 oz. Simcoe Pellet 11.90 8.9 15 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 4.3 10 min.
0.50 oz. Columbus Pellet 14.00 4.4 1 min.
0.50 oz. Simcoe Pellet 11.90 3.7 1 min.

0.50 oz. Amarillo Pellet 7.50 0.0 Dry Hop
0.50 oz. Centennial Pellet 10.50 0.0 Dry Hop
0.50 oz. Columbus Pellet 14.00 0.0 Dry Hop
0.50 oz. Simcoe Pellet 11.90 0.0 Dry Hop

CTZ (Columbus, Tettnanger, and Zeus) are very clean bittering hops. You won't get a whole lot of aroma from them.

CTZ actually stands for columbus, TOMOHAWK, and zeus. These hops are called CTZ because they are basically the same hop.

To answer your question Columbus is an excellent hop for dry hopping. Super pungent, just smell it.

Right, Tomahawk, my bad. I've never dry hopped with it, but to me it seems less fragrant than a lot of varieties commonly used for aroma additions. I guess I need to dig some out of the freezer and take a whiff again. With the high AA, I would probably try to save it for bittering, and get something else for aroma, but if others say its good for aroma, go for it.

Hey all, after asking my question I came across this great podcast that goes into great detail about dry hopping.

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/membersarchive/bs_dryhop12-08-08.mp3

They talk about a lot of what people ask, eg:

- Should I add hops in a bag or loose?

- Which hops should I use for aroma?

- How long should I dry hop?

- Should I dry hop in primary or secondary?

...and so on. Really worth the listen and will clear up a lot of questions that we all have, I think.

Aside: what yeast were you using for your Green Flash IPA? WL 001, WY 1056 or a dry? And it handled the 9% potential? Nevermind...my bad. 1056 can handle 10%.

Looking to brew one this weekend. It is an awesome beer.
-Jeff

Aside: what yeast were you using for your Green Flash IPA? WL 001, WY 1056 or a dry? And it handled the 9% potential? Nevermind...my bad. 1056 can handle 10%.

Looking to brew one this weekend. It is an awesome beer.
-Jeff

Yeah I used WLP-001 liquid yeast. Seemed to handle the fermentation fine. It's been in primary now for 10 days. OG was something crazy high, like around 1.090 and it's now down to about 1.020. Sample draws so far definitely have that hop bite I was looking for. Waiting a few more days in primary (likely 14 total), will then transfer to secondary for 7 days, then dry hop the final 7 days.

Latest posts

Back