Just drink it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnFrum1978

Reaction score
I've got most of my first batch of mead sitting down cellar. The recipe was 15 pounds of honey, yeast nutrient, and champaign yeast in a 5 gallon batch. I had it for four months in primary, six months in secondary, and sitting in bottles for another six months. At this point I think it's no bad. Totally drinkable. The second or third glass is just divine. My wife says the smell reminds her of Chemistry class and that I should let it age for another year or two to mellow out.

Looking at the bottles, there's a noticeable amount of sediment. I'm guessing I should have racked it a second time and let it bulk age. Will sitting on the sediment for a year or two be detrimental to the taste or will it indeed give it a chance to improve.

A little sediment usually causes no problems. A lot of sediment can cause odors which might very well smell like chemistry class. However, I'd be inclined to just let it age and when you open the next bottle, decant it an hour before serving.

Do yourself a favour & tuck a bottle (or 2) away for a year or 2 while you enjoy the rest, you might be surprised at how much it improves. Regards, GF.

Give it time. I had a batch of Joam go horribly wrong (SNA that took it to far down in gravity and too much clove + bad temp control). I thought I would be dumping the whole 5 gallon batch, since the last time I tried it (last christmas) it made me immediately start gagging from both the smell and taste. Now 6 months later, at 1.5 years old, it is at least drinkable. Heck I now have great hope for it and even a slight amount of hope for a batch of watermelon mead I made around the same time that has been equally offensive.

Latest posts

Back