Tortilla chip smell and/or taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MightyMosin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've had two different meads that have had this tortilla chip or Frito like aroma and maybe a bit of a taste.

The first time I had it , it had stayed on the Ale yeast lees a while... ~ 7 months of carboy aging and about 3 rackings it was completely clear of sediment settling and that aroma/taste.

The second one that has that aroma/taste is also an Ale yeast though it didn't sit on the lees. I'll let this one site for a while and ,if necessary, rack several times to get it completely clear.

I have used Ale yeast many times and only these two times have I had this issue.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I've had two different meads that have had this tortilla chip or Frito like aroma and maybe a bit of a taste.

The first time I had it , it had stayed on the Ale yeast lees a while... ~ 7 months of carboy aging and about 3 rackings it was completely clear of sediment settling and that aroma/taste.

The second one that has that aroma/taste is also an Ale yeast though it didn't sit on the lees. I'll let this one site for a while and ,if necessary, rack several times to get it completely clear.

I have used Ale yeast many times and only these two times have I had this issue.

Has anyone else experienced this?
I have not, but, to be fair & honest, the only Ale Yeast I've used is BOMM yeast.
Also, to this point, I haven't washed the yeast to reclaim it for another round of mead either....yet. I just put all the trub from 2 separate batches into Mason jars in the fridge to do this week. (Ultimate T'ej BOMM & my Strawberry/ Rhubarb/ Raspberry BOMM) I have another batch that I'm going to harvest the trub from, too. (Blood Orange/ Cara Cara orange spiced BOMM melomel)
I'd be curious to see if washing the yeast brings out any weird flavors, like Fritos.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back