Fermenting AGAIN at Bottling Time??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erikhillard

Reaction score
New behavior for me on this batch..

Peat Smoked Porter extract kit from Northern Brewer. 7 weeks since brew date. Was transfered to secondary probably 3-4 weeks ago. Fermentor has been in my basement the entire time with a temp around 60-70.

Bottling time. I'm a week or two later than I would normally bottle but just been slammed with work and just getting to it now.

Noticed a very slight dots of foam last night. This morning I go down to clean bottles and notice the foam has spread across the top and the airlock is bubbling. Literally looks like fermentation is starting up again.

I'm not going to bottle it now in its current state. I'm really surprised this is happening tho and a tad bit worried.

Ideas, thoughts, suggestions?

Erik Hillard
York Blvd Home Brew
Los Angeles CA

Did you move or bump the fermenter? Like do you bottle upstairs and brought it up in preparation? Or is there a temp change? Any of those things could cause a partially stuck fermentation to start again, even if you didn't know it as stuck.

Take a gravity reading and see where it's at.

Hmm.. it has been a bit colder than normal here in Los Angeles the past few months. Fermentor probably was below 65 at times.. Maybe it was stuck.. First time I've been in this situation. I will pull out the hydrometer and post the results. THANKS.

Specific gravity reads 1.022

The Northern Brewer instruction sheet reads Original Gravity at 1.062. I didn't take a reading after brewing the wort. I know I need to start doing this stuff but I guess I haven't fully understood the readings and the reasoning behind them. Looks like I will starting doing that now.

I did slightly move the fermentor yesterday when I examined it. Maybe thats all that happened. It doesn't seem to be getting more foamy but I think I'm going to wait a day to bottle to make its not starting to ferment again.

Yeah check it again in a day or so. You might have un stuck or kicked up a slow or stuck fermentation. You haven't been in a hurry so far, so it won't hurt to wait a couple days to make sure.

Ok.. thanks Revvy.. correct me if I'm wrong, but if the SG is pretty much the same in a day or two then the beer is ready for bottling.

Ok.. thanks Revvy.. correct me if I'm wrong, but if the SG is pretty much the same in a day or two then the beer is ready for bottling.

We say if it stays the same over 3 days, so if you took it today and then again on monday if they were the same then the theory is that it is done.

In this case if it doesn't change tomorrow I guess you could, I'm a little nervous about it being at 1.022, personally 1.020 is the top of my fermenting comfort range.

I'd suggest giving yourself some insurance by putting those bottles in a rubbermaid container, or at the very least double-bagged in a trash bag. Never can be too careful with glass. ;)

Back