Long tap handle will not fit on Kegerator.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shildebr

Reaction score
I converted this standard freezer-on-top refrigerator to a 4 tap kegerator last year, and it works great.

A friend of mine went to Boston over the summer and picked me up this nice Sam Adams tap handle. But when I went to put it on one of the taps, it won't fit because it sits back at an angle in the closed position and hits the door of the freezer.

IMG_6317.JPG

IMG_6318.JPG

The shank is sized just right for the door, so there is not enough play in it to extend the faucet out. The only thing I can think of is to rig some kind of adapter to offset the handle screw forward, but them I'm worried that the weight of the handle would tend to open the faucet.

Any suggestions?

So simple! I searched all over the forum to no avail, good to see I am not the only one whose had this problem.

Thank you!

I need something like this as well. I make due at the moment, but it's close.

Is there any problem with these shifting the weight of the tap handle forward causing potential for the handle to fall forward releasing my precious beer all over the floor? I can clean the floor, but losing good beer is just alcohol abuse.

I need something like this as well. I make due at the moment, but it's close.

Is there any problem with these shifting the weight of the tap handle forward causing potential for the handle to fall forward releasing my precious beer all over the floor? I can clean the floor, but losing good beer is just alcohol abuse.
Not a problem. The faucet has a packing nut and bushing that allows you to set the tension (friction). Tighten it to increase the force needed to open it. Just be sure that the handle lock bushing in not to close and rubbing on the packing nut.

ventmatic.jpg

here are the two ways i've gotten around the tap handle angle (i can't remember who suggested the idea originally, but it works great and is easy to do):

on the old kegerator (wood collar to push them out further, it was around 1.5 inches thick):
DSC00331.jpg

on the keezer (used two hole saws to cut these out IIRC - from 2x4s):
IMG_0459.jpg

Back