Bread recipes from used mash????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rbeckett

Reaction score
After mashing your grains, what do you do with the left overs?? I am looking for some bread recipes to compliment my wifes most recent spur of the moment impulse purchase. She bought a super heavy duty Kitchenaide stand mixer this morning and we were discussing different bread recipes and I mentioned that the spent grains from brewing would make great bread once dried and properly ground. My thoughts are to remove the spent grains and spread them evenly on several of my dehydrator trays and dry them back to a moisture of arouns 6-10% and grind on a closed up Corona grinder. The resulting flour could then be added to other fresh ingresients in the mixer and made into many different creative flavors and textures. Momma is happy with the idea too and it might go a long way to buying more grains in bulk rather than buying kits and grinding them when they arrive. Anybody got some good tested and approved bread recipes I can dazzle momma with?????? Thanks for the help.
Wheelchair Bob

I'm working on a ton of spent grain recipes for my upcoming blog on historical brewing. Until I get the brew recipes just right, I make mostly 1 gallon batches (which is a pain for my local homebrew store, but it's good to have friends in such places!). This leaves me a good deal of spent grain from some pretty quirky beers. Spent grain from just about any brew can be used in a variety of recipes, but I'm enjoying matching dishes to specific mixes of SG.

For example: Out of my colonial apple beer SG, I made a barley pudding (with scotch whiskey whipped cream) and apple-maple scones. Last night's adventure was a huge success this morning- cocoa granola with stout SG. I have rather ambitious plans in the works for loads other recipes, and will be sure to post the link here when the site goes live. :)

P.S. That's also my bread recipe above. It's my first such, so I expect it to get better as I work on it!

I don't grind or dry spent grain.

I'll stick it in a tupperware container if I can't make anything the day of (but it will only last a few days in the fridge).

Eventually I'll take it out and add a ratio of 1 part grain : 2 parts AP flour : 1 egg : 1/2 a beer. Mix it until loose dough forms, flatten and level on a cookie sheet at 350 for 30 minutes, reduce to 225 for anywhere between 2 and 6 hours until virtually no moisture remains.

Some people call them dog treats but they are pretty much just a cracker that has a super long shelf life. Dogs and wife both seem to like them.

I have not tried this but am willing to bet it would turn out pretty good. I have been on a kick making my own breakfast bar/ protein bars starting with a 2 cups of oats, 2-21/2 cups of powdered milk, 1/2 -1 cup soy protein, 1/2 -1 cup sugar,white or brown. Mix it all in a bowl , then bring to a boil 1/2 cup of water , 3 table spoons of honey and a box of unflavored gelatin. pour liguid over oats etc and mix well add more water if needed. Thats the basic recipe, I add chopped peanuts and peanut butter .Bake at 350 for 15-20 min. You could add spent grains to this to change up the flavor. You could also use flavored gelatins and add dried fruits, rasins, dried cranberry, blueberry, dried apples or what ever. might be worth a try.
ed

Latest posts

Back