30 qrt Turkey fryer and cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Beer Buster
Reaction score
I know this must have been asked so many ties that you will want to shoot me but Im a noob here and tried to search for this answer and read alot about other questions asked instead so here it goes. What size batch will I beable to do once I get into AGB with a 30 qrt fryer and what size cooler should I get to make a MT for this setup? I dont see myself making huge batches, 5 or 6 gallons a would be perfect.

Nobody will shoot you, don't worry! :mug:

You will be able to do standard 5 US gallon batches with a 30qt pot (though you will need to be vigilant for boil overs at the start!). A 5 gallon cooler is adequate for 5 gallon batches but you would be better off with at least 10 gallons if you can manage it.

With foam control drops you can easily push close to the 6 gallon batch mark in that 30qt pot - without, you're safer trying to stay near 5.

**BANG**

j/k You should be ok with a 30 quart pot but it will get tight at the beginning of your boil. I would recommend bigger if you can but it is a decent starting point. I've boiled 6.5 gallons down to 5.5 in a 30 qt. pot but had to watch it like a hawk. I'm in the process of converting a keg to a boil kettle now.

You won't regret a 10 gallon cooler.

30 qt pot is fine. If you use foam control drops, you don't have to worry about watching it.

5 gal coolers are less popular than 10 gal coolers when building a mash tun, particularly if you will be batch sparging. Many start with 5 gal thinking it is big enough, then ditch it for a 10 gal one very soon.

Got my turkey fryer at Home Dept today fro $37.95. Will use this for awhile but will eventually get a bigger SS Pot. Should get chiller tomorrows and hopefully a cooler to make a mash tun then Im on my way! Im sure I will have plenty of questions for you guys. Thanx for getting me this far!

Nice! I've got the same one and it works...a bit too well actually. In order to keep 6gal at a rolling boil without boil you definitely need to use the aforementioned foam control drops OR just watch it like a hawk. I figured out that at the very lowest possible setting on this burner it was just about perfect to maintain a boil while still being able to have a beer. I did have a few heart attack moments tho, with this much in the pot. I think in a while I'll make the move up to a 40qt SS pot.

Got my kegging stuff and my Immersion chiller now. Just a MLT away, Ill get the cooler this week from Target. They have a 40 qrt. Igloo Max cold with drain, handle, and wheels for $30. All I have to do now is convert it and get rolling! So close but yet so far.

After going to Target i discovered that the picture thay had on the website was not what was in the store as the in-store 1 had no spigot. I decided to get an Igloo 38 qrt. with wheels as it seemed to be the best choice with what they or anyone around offered with out buying online. It was a fun time drilling the perfect location and getting the right stuff from Home Depot to do the Ball valve assembly. I didnt find any SS washers there but did find 2 big ones at a nut & bolt company near me but only had 1/4" holes in them I re-drilled them with a Bi-Metal hole saw, thats fun also. Have all my fittings but not enough money on me to buy the 1/2" copper pipe this week. Cant wait to finally get this going. Thanks everyone for posting there designs and part lists for their MLT's as I used this as a guide and almost every part for the 40 qrt MLT was spot on with the parts list

Back