Cold Crash and Dry Hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawgman

Reaction score
Should I wait until my dry hop period is up before cold crashing? Or is it ok to overlap my cold crash and dry hop times by 2 days?

I usually dry hop for 5 days then cold crash, but I leave the hops in there ;)

Was planning on a week of dry hop. If I don't get it bottled by Sunday though the family is coming to town and I will lose my chance for another two weekends to get it bottled.

Then definitely just overlap the times, in fact some breweries actually dry hop at ferm temp and at storage temp.

Yeah, you can definitely overlap it by two days. Basically, its however you want to do your day schedule. Either 5 days dry hop + 5 days cold crash or 7 days dry hop + 3 days cold crash is still 10 days total... And if the hops are in there, then they are in there for 10 days total.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that there is a major difference with hops in the beer during room/fermentation temperatures and during cold crash/cold crash, especially after they have had at least some time in the beer at room/fermentation temperature.

With a colder temp you'll have a slower extraction and with the warmer temp you run into possible vegetal flavors.

Back