Using a yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicratlhead51

Reaction score
This is going to be my second mead, well technically my first was a metheglin and this is going to be a melomel for anyone who might nit pick ;)

I'm trying to make something close to Funky Monky made by B. Nektar Meadery. Their website says it's a cherry melomel fermented using a Belgian yeast and then dry hopped with styrian golding hops. It worked out that I'll have a nice healthy yeast cake from a tripel I made using WLP500 that I'll be able to use. I plan on using 10lb of honey and 5lb of tart cherries then dryhopping with an ounce of styrian goldings after my first racking.

I've done quite a few beers and a couple ciders just using fruit juice but I don't have a lot of experience with wine and mead so I want to make sure I've got this process straight.

First I mix the honey in some water and place the cherries in mesh bag in the must then top off to five gallons. Then I put add my campden tablets and wait 12 hours then add the pectic enzyme and wait another 12 hours before adding the yeast. Then do I have to do anything while its fermenting or anything like pressing the cherry bag or anything? I've been reading a lot of wine posts and unfortunately there's not many step by step explanations in the wine forum and I'm not sure if it would be appropriate in this situation. Also what's the best way to use this cake for the mead canI just rack the must on top of it?

I guess I'm just looking for any hints or tips anyone might have on the process or the recipe.

I ascribe to the Ken Schramm no heat method of no heat no nothing. How many lbs of cherries?

I would personally mix up my mead must and throw it ontop of that yeast cake then after a week with SNA, rack off into another vessel with the cherries (checking daily to "punch down the cap"). I would rack away from the cherry trub after a few weeks to a month and wait to dry hop until the wine was crystal clear. Let it dry hop for 1-2 weeks and then bottle.

Also I don't personally find Styrian goldings appealing aromatically, not sure how that plays in mead. I did however try some stuff by B. Nektar and it was fantastic!

Hope some of my rambling helped.

so do I need to do the whole camden tablet thing or do you think it'd be fine to mix it up and throw it onto the yeast cake? I didnt do it with my last mead but since I'm using fruit this time I wasn't sure especially since it's going straight onto a nice healthy yeast cake. I'm just using 5lb of frozen cherries. Yeah, I wasn't sure about the styrian goldings either it's just what their website said they used. It wasn't a real pronounced hop flavor to it. In all honesty when SWMBO bought the stuff I was real skeptical about all the oddball combinations of the dryhopping, cherries, honey and using a belgian yeast. It sounded wierd but tasted great.

Mixed it up Thursday and threw it on the yeast cake Friday night. The airlock was bubbling pretty steady Sat and Sun but it's really going today. Any suggestions on what hop to use? I know the B. Nektar site said it was styrian goldings but my LHBS doesn't have any so I was thinking about going with Willamette since it's listed as a sub for SG.

Back